[Makerspace-keymembers] Fwd: [Makerspace Urbana] Bicycle Counters

MakerSpace Urbana makerspaceu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 17:14:52 EDT 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lily Wilcock <lwilco2 at illinois.edu>
Date: Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:16 AM
Subject: [Makerspace Urbana] Bicycle Counters
To: makerspaceU at gmail.com

Hello Maker Space! I work on campus as an Active Transportation Coordinator
for F&S. We do the bicycle lanes, the Campus Bicycle Center, education
campaigns, registration, etc!

Would you lovely folks be interested in designing or helping to design a
bicycle counter? At the University, it can sometimes be challenging to get
funding for bicycle lanes or facilities (like racks, lockers, etc.) without
good numbers. We currently have volunteers, twice a year, come on to campus
for an hour and count up all the bikes. This is amazing but the data is
limited and we can't do any fun incentive stuff without having some solid,
daily, numbers.

University of Minnesota set-up counters on lampposts and put ID tags on
commuters spokes. When a bicycle rides by the counter picks up the ID and
records that they rode today. People then get prizes like a free coffee or
$5 off at a grocery store. This could be Urbana!!! It very much reminds me
of Array of Things in Chicago. We just need some smart and fun ideas about
how we can get something like this built and going.

What do you think?

Let me know!
You can also call me at 217-244-6865

--