[OccupyCU] community garden

Sean Seckler seanseckler at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 02:47:41 UTC 2012

Hi OccupyCU,

I don't use the list much, so when I do, I hope you will take a minute to
read it.

I would like to start a shared garden with anyone in the occupyCU community
who is interested and has either land or labor to contribute.

I think we can pool our collective land and labor resources into a
community garden that will bring a variety of benefits:
1) We can feed ourselves and our community with fresh, organic produce.
2) We can sell any excess and use the revenue to reinvest or for anything
pressing in the community.
3) We can use our time farming together as part of our community
discourse...imagine 3 hours of talking while planting onions instead of 3
hours of talking while shifting around uncomfortably in a chair, waiting
for your turn to speak.

At first I was thinking we could use the Meadowbrook Park organic plots for
this, but for a few reasons I think we are better off looking to ourselves:
1) We've missed the last info meeting for this year, which is a "required"
meeting before they let you get a plot
2) It costs money (granted, not much and they provide water)
3) Among our group and affiliated community, we must have a lot of land
that we are not using to produce food. Even a space as small as 3ft. x
10ft., with adequate sun, can be used to grow food effectively.

If you have any interest in this, let the word spread.

All we need are land, seeds, a few simple hand tools, and a bit of time. I
know we have all of those. So, let's do this.

Thanks,
Sean