[OccupyCU] community garden follow up

Sean Seckler seanseckler at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 19:05:14 UTC 2012

Anyone else interested in getting together for an organic garden? The
Meadowbrook, Orchard Downs, and Randolph Street gardens all look good. I'm
leaning towards Orchard Downs and Meadowbrook because they are much closer
to where I live.

---------------

If we went to Meadowbrook (assuming someone could get us in as non-new
gardeners) it would be:
Full plots (17’ x 30’) Meadowbrook Park         $50 R/ $100 NR
$30N/$15 RG
So 17 feet x 30 feet for $50 and a $30 deposit (assuming resident of Urbana
status)

If we went to Orchard Downs, it would be:
Full plots (30 feet by 30 feet)
Rental $70/plot x No. of plots + Deposit $30/plot x No. of plots (assuming
non-resident of Orchard Downs housing area)
AND FREE VEGETABLE, HERB, & FLOWER SEEDS FOR ALL REGISTERED GARDENERS

So, it looks like Orchard Downs is a bit cheaper per square foot but more
initial cost. They are open to late registration, whereas at Meadowbrook,
we would need someone to sign up for us to bypass the mandatory
informational meeting that we've missed.

Here's the info on the Meadowbrook organic gardens:
http://www.urbanaparks.org/documents/d5923a919b1b415382cef6a9d6456067/Garden%20_Service_Information_2012.pdf

Here's the info on the Orchard Downs organic gardens:
http://www.housing.illinois.edu/Current/Apartments/Orchard%20Downs/Community%20Life/~/media/Files/FHC/GardenPlotsInfo.ashx<http://www.housing.illinois.edu/Current/Apartments/Orchard%20Downs/Community%20Life/%7E/media/Files/FHC/GardenPlotsInfo.ashx>