[OccupyCU] Journalist Interview

Ricky Baldwin rbaldwin at seiu73.org
Wed Feb 8 16:48:23 CST 2012

Hey folks-

My advice about talking to reporters is to be very cautious.  We should pick someone to talk who gets this.  Say nothing you don't want to see in print or hear on the evening news out of context.  Typically reporters like short quotes, so nuances are easily lost.

I'd say tell them, "Absolutely not!"  This is not the end of the Occupy Movement.  The movement is not ending, it is developing.  The movement is taking on new issues, studying new ways of effecting change, experimenting.  That is not an end.  There are also new people joining the movement all the time, new activities, new issues discussed, and new ideas for addressing those issues.  Here in CU we just had a wonderful weekend 'retreat' (or 'advance' as we used to say, because we do not retreat :-)  That was very well attended and involved activity as well as discussion.  That is certainly NOT a sign of a movement that is dying.

One of the most important aspects of the movement has been an experiment in democratic forms, allowing the voiceless to have a voice.  So everyone does not always agree, but that only means the movement develops organically, right? No, I think we should not allow this media meme to start making the rounds unchallenged.  The media does not get to say when the movement is ending.  They wanted to ignore it, then make it a circus, now they want to say it's over because they are no longer interested.  It is glamorous enough anymore.  Too bad.  Nope, I would stick to our 'guns' so to speak (sorry):

The movement is not ending.  It's developing.

Ricky