[OccupyCU] 2 scents

Susan Parenti sparenti at illinois.edu
Thu Nov 15 20:34:17 UTC 2012

Thank you, Stuart. This is an excellent recap.

I don't consider email a medium for discussion, so I've stayed away
from the torrent. However, that's a kind of snooty position, as we
probably have way more people on the Occupy CU list serve who can
participate in email discussion than come to the meetings, so this is
something we need to think about in the future.

When I hazarded the idea at the November 5 meeting that Occupy follow
liberation theology's 'preferential option for the poor' by making
Occupy a movement of 'preferential option for women', or, as Karen
suggested, for 'preferential option for marginalized voices' I was
hoping to ward off such torrents. But it may be we each feel
marginalized (but how can a 'we' feel marginalized?), so this might
not yet be a sufficient direction.

I'm sorry that friend and fantastic organizer Sarah Lazare is
resigning from the Occupy CU list-serve. I don't think there's yet an
Occupy CU to resign from, so I'm persisting.

BUT I'm nervous that good will and trust between us is running out----
we've had 3 meetings with attendance of 22 people October 29, 15
people November 5, and 18 people November 12. There will be one more
meeting this Monday, Nov. 19th. Jesse made an offer, and the response
would make me, if I were Jesse, jump back into silence.

WHAT WE HAVEN'T YET DONE:
create a mission statement or core idea that we excites us, that makes
us feel we are moving towards a system/society we want, and
fundamentally undermining the current system/society we have, and that
we can build campaigns around. We need to find a mole we can whack
that will break the whack-a-mole system.

Towards that end,
1. we haven't yet made connections between the various ideas that
people have presented. Could we prepare to do that for Monday's
meeting--connect the various proposals, provide an analysis?The notes
are on email.
2. take into account that Occupy successfully put two (non-binding)
referenda on the Nov. 6th ballot. This is serious.
3. take into account that Obama not Romney won, that Obama continues
to pursue corporate-financed state capital policies as we speak

Probably there are other things to take into account.
susan