[OccupyCU] on strife - Jesse Francis' presentation, communication patterns, trust, & flame warring

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Thu Nov 15 22:15:05 UTC 2012

Paranoia is bound up with an unacknowledged (unadmitted/inadmissible) conflict that is excluded from consciousness.

In U.S. politics of the (early) 1960s, when Hofstadter wrote, that was clearly class conflict.

"The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles," is one of the most famous political statements of the modern era, but in 1964 America, it couldn't be said or understood.

"The Sixties" went some way toward revealing it, but that era was immediately followed by the counter-attack of Neoliberalism, and a vicious but again unacknowledged class war, with wealth concentrating in the hands of the very few at an accelerating rate. Inequality grew along with victories over discrimination.

It was the historic role of OWS to re-introduce class into American political discourse. We shouldn't let it be suppressed again. --CGE