[OccupyCU] Mon 12/3 evening - activism training, and, Hell and Back Again film. Can we reschedule our meeting?

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:54:14 UTC 2012

If we have a What Next for Occupy CU meeting scheduled for Monday
evening 12/3, as Theresa's notes mention (thanks, Theresa!), can we move
it to another day/time?

There are **two** other things that I'd like to be doing at that same
time - an *activist training session* which may really be useful to us
Occupiers, and, a film and discussion about the *life of a returning
veteran,* with discussion by local vets and allies.   Maybe a bunch of
us will feel the same way about at least one of those.

*12/3 Monday, 6:00 PM*   Champaign Library, Robeson room "A"
*Activist training* - sponsored by Food & Water Watch, but it sounds
widely applicable:

>     *Do you want to improve social, environmental, or political
>     problems but not know how to start? *Or know how to start, but get
>     stuck trying to build a group, accomplish goals, or recruiting
>     volunteers? Whether you're new to activism or experienced, come to
>     our*Activist Training Workshop, <http://tinyurl.com/d84p7r9>
>     *sponsored by Food & Water Watch. *You'll learn and practice
>     critical campaign skills*, including: setting goals, strategies,
>     and tactics; campaign recruitment and building a group; and
>     training volunteers. And we'll have a fun social afterward in
>     downtown Champaign!

>     *RSVP here: **http://tinyurl.com/d84p7r9*

>     Hanna Saltzman, Champaign-Urbana field organizer, Food & Water Watch
>     (c) 801-971-8223
>     (e) hsaltzman at fwwlocal.org

... and ...

*12/3 Monday  6:30-8:30PM*   Channing-Murray Foundation - Social Justice
Film Series
*"Hell and Back Again"* <http://www.hellandbackagain.com/>
         Film about the life of a returning Afghanistan veteran,
followed by talk-back with Champaign County Iraq Veterans Against the
War, and Civilian Soldier Alliance

>     Hell and Back Again transitions from stunning war reportage to an
>     intimate, visceral portrait of one man's personal struggle at home
>     in North Carolina, where Harris confronts the physical and
>     emotional difficulties of re-adjusting to civilian life with the
>     love and support of his wife, Ashley. Masterfully contrasting the
>     intensity of the frontline with the unsettling normalcy of home,
>     Hell and Back Again lays bare the true cost of war.
>     Co-sponsored by Social Action Committee of UU Church, Friends
>     Meeting, University YMCA, Wesley United Methodist Church and
>     Foundation
>     *Free and open to the public. Refreshments will be provided.

*
*

*
*