[OccupyCU] Fwd: Monday in Homer: Save the Salt Fork River from a dirty coal mine

s.hansen at comcast.net s.hansen at comcast.net
Sat Jan 12 00:30:34 UTC 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Josh Nelson, CREDO Action" <act@ credoaction .com>
To: "Sandra Hansen" <s. hansen @comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 9:03:49 AM
Subject: Monday in Homer: Save the Salt Fork River from a dirty coal mine

CREDO action

Monday in Homer: Speak out against Homer's proposed water sale to Sunrise Coal. Attend Monday's village board meeting in Homer and speak out against a proposed coal mine in Champagne and Vermilion counties.
RSVP

Dear Sandra,

It's a classic bait and switch. After originally requesting 2,000-4,000 gallons of treated water per day for a proposed dirty coal mine near Homer, Sunrise Coal LLC revealed to the Homer Village Board last week that it will eventually need up to 10 times that amount. 1

If the village board gives in to Sunrise Coal's outrageous water request and the mine is allowed to move forward, much of the water for the mine would likely come from the Salt Fork River, reducing its water level and putting local drinking water supplies at risk of being contaminated with toxic mining pollution.

On Monday, the Homer Village Board will be making a decision, after taking local input. So we need to make sure the board members know local residents are concerned about the significant negative health and environmental impacts this mine will bring to Illinois.

What: Homer Village Board meeting on proposed water sale
When: Monday, January 14, 7 p.m.
Where: Homer Village Hall, 500 East 2nd Street, Homer, IL 61849

Click here to RSVP for Monday's Homer Village Board meeting.

Once you RSVP for the meeting, we'll send you suggested talking points and all of the information you'll need to make your experience on Monday productive and easy.

Much of the coal Sunrise plans to mine in Champagne and Vermilion counties is directly underneath some of the most fertile farmland in the world. And since underground mining often leads to subsidence, or land sinking, the proposed mine would threaten the viability of future productive farming and decrease property values. 2

And since the state officials who will make future permitting decisions on Sunrise Coal's proposed coal mine have shown a repeated willingness to approve coal mining permits despite the threats they pose to local residents and the environment, stopping the Homer Village Board from granting the water contract to Sunrise Coal is our best chance to stop this dangerous coal mine.

Sunrise's proposed mine would create a toxic industrial zone in Vermilion and Champagne counties that would last for decades, so the decision the Homer Village Board makes on Monday will have a multigenerational impact. I hope you can attend Monday's meeting and speak out against Sunrise Coal's outrageous water purchase proposal.

Click here to RSVP for Monday's meeting in Homer.

Thanks for fighting to stop a dangerous new coal mine in Illinois.

Josh Nelson, Campaign Manager
CREDO Action from Working Assets RSVP

1. Tracy Moss, " Snag pops up in coal company's water request in Homer ", The News-Gazette, 1/3/13
2. " Letter to Landowners ", Stand up to Coal

© 2012 CREDO. All rights reserved.

To remove yourself (Sandra Hansen) from this list, please visit our subscription management page at: http ://act. credoaction .com/s?i=53201-3288188-yJa7vlx

To change your email address or update your contact info, please visit: http ://act. credoaction .com/ login /request_change. html ?id=53201-3288188-yJa7vlx