[OccupyCU] [Peace-discuss] [sf-core] New bishop of Rome...

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Fri Mar 15 00:24:48 UTC 2013

An attack on hippo-crisy (or perhaps hippo-cracy) in church & state?

When I used to do a poetry show on WEFT, Eliot was a favorite - the St. Louis boy who described himself in old age as having "a Catholic cast of mind, a Calvinist heritage, and a Puritanical temperament."

I recall my co-host reading this. But you've left off the first part of 'THE HIPPOPOTAMUS', which reads

 "Similiter et omnes revereantur Diaconos, ut mandatum Jesu Christi; et Episcopum, ut Jesum Christum, existentem filium Patris; Presbyteros autem, ut concilium Dei et conjunctionem Apostolorum. Sine his Ecclesia non vocatur; de quibus suadeo vos sic habeo. --S. Ignatii Ad Trallianos.

"And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans."

(And similarly let all reverence the deacons as a commandment of Jesus Christ; and the bishop as Jesus Christ, the living son of the Father; and the presbyters as the council of God and the assembly of the apostles. Apart from these, the church is not called; concerning these things, I am persuaded we agree. --From St.Ignatius to the Trallians, ca. 180 AD. The last line is a quote from Paul [the apostle]; the Laodiceans are referred to elsewhere in the NT as lukewarm in faith…)

This poem was published in 1920 (& written when Eliot was rising 30)  in a collection of wonderful things, including "Mr. Eliot's Sunday Morning Service":

Look, look, master, here comes two religions caterpillars.
The Jew of Malta.

Polyphiloprogenitive
The sapient sutlers of the Lord
Drift across the window-panes.