[Peace-discuss] Any Jews here wanna make calls for Alex Morse?

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 18:16:10 UTC 2020

Pardon the commercial interruption, but are there any Jews here who might
want to make phone calls for Alex Morse?

Alex Morse is an American Jew who is running for Congress and has a good
chance of winning. He is an unapologetic defender of Palestinian rights. He
is endorsed by Justice Democrats and If Not Now. He supports Medicare for
All and Green New Deal.His opponent, the 30 year incumbent Richard Neal, is
the chair of the "powerful" tax code-writing House Ways and Means
Committee.

Thus, the showdown is potentially analogous to the defeat of Eliot Engel by
Jamaal Bowman in New York City. When we defeated Eliot Engel, we set up a
fight for the chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. If we defeat
Richard Neal, we set up a fight for the chair of the House Ways and Means
Committee.

Getting control of, or even having more say in, the leadership of the House
Ways and Means Committee would be yuuuuge. For example: you may have heard
there was a kerfuffle over the language in the Democratic Platform on
ending subsidies for fossil fuel extraction. That issue is in the
jurisdiction of the House Ways and Means Committee. That's a reason that
Richard Neal is the top House recipient of corporate campaign cash.

On Israel-Palestine, we could go after the tax exempt status of U.S. groups
that support Israeli settlements in the West Bank, among other ideas.

Recent polling had Alex Morse down a few points, with a bunch of people
undecided. Under Covid and quarantine, door-knocking is cancelled, so phone
calling is a key tool for reaching undecided voters and turning out voters
who might not otherwise vote.

The plus side is, you can do the phone calling from anywhere.

If Not Now/End the Occupation PAC has a Zoom calling party for Alex on
Monday evening at 6pm ET.

Here is the link to sign up:

https://actionnetwork.org/forms/phonebank-for-anti-occupation-candidates-2

If you sign up, you get the Zoom info for the call. If you don't show up,
or if you have to leave early, nothing bad happens.

P.S. You don't have to "present as Jewish" to make calls. Nobody is
checking. We don't identify as Jews when we make the calls. We just
identify as volunteers for Alex Morse. :)