[Peace-discuss] What is the Movement for a People's Convention after?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Thu Aug 27 01:58:10 UTC 2020

I've been seeing https://peoplesconvention.org promoted on Jimmy Dore's show (see
attached) and even after reading the material there it's not clear to me what this
aims to be. I believe this is the group Nick Brana works with or heads but it's not
clear to me what the specific aims are.

If they're going to set up a new political party, what does that party stand for? Who
is involved and in what role? How do they plan to convince people they'll not end up
ceding to the Democrats? Why not work with an extant party?

Some of this is a little addressed in
https://www.blackagendareport.com/movement-peoples-party-aims-unseat-duopoly-2024 but
there's quite a bit of filibustering in this too. For instance, Brana starts talking
as if he'll address why he's not working with the Green Party but never says what he
found objectionable in the Green Party where Brana thought starting a new party was
the correct course of action.

Brana claimed that [Bernie Sanders' 'Our Revolution'] at 2m 14s:
> polled their membership and by a 72% majority they decided to start a new party
> instead of continuing to reform the Democratic Party. Obviously that's so
> meaningful because Our Revolution  came out of Bernie's campaign in order to
> advance the ideas of the political revolution and try to reform the Democratic
> Party. The Los Angeles chapter and the central Connecticut chapter and other
> chapters would leave the Democratic Party and join us in building a major new
> party is a very symbolic turn of events inside progressive movement towards a
> major new party.

This group's convention will run live on YouTube in numerous places including Jimmy
Dore's channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/TYTComedy/videos -- live on August 30
starting at 3PM Central time (8PM GMT). I was

Does anyone have any specific and sourced information on what Brana's effort is
promoting?