[Peace-discuss] Why isn't CHOP's massive failure being seen as a clear pointer to liberal policy failure and protest inarticulateness?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sun Jul 5 21:50:59 UTC 2020

I'm purposefully pointing to establishment media source CNN here --
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/us/chop-seattle-police-protesters-public-safety/ -- to
make a point about the Seattle zone where police were unwelcomed and (allegedly) did
not go; an area presumably set up by those who champion the "defund the police" line
and who apparently never got around to identifying what the police do and how each of
these tasks should be done instead.

 From what I can tell the CHOP supporters established no clearly-defined (nor
democratically arrived at) policies covering how people would deal with real-world
problems for which the police are typically called in; from the relatively mundane
traffic accident to the obviously important murders (which happened).

After two deaths and reports of other violence (shootings, beatings, and a rape) and
the lethal experiment known as CHOP is now over. There should be quite a price to pay
for Seattle's remarkably ignorant and negligent mayor Jenny Durkan both legally and
in any re-election bid. Her being a Democrat also doesn't help that party's image.
She's currently facing two separate petitions for recall[1].

[1]
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/judge-hears-dual-petitions-recall-seattle-mayor/4WVFOQAHHZCIZDR3AO5MBRNYVA/

So far I'm led to believe that what will come out of these protests is little more
than vacuous sloganeering around "Black Lives Matter" (which merely repeats Glen
Ford's earlier complaint about BLM) and "Defund The Police". There are lots of other
choices for things we can do, we don't need the false dichotomy of accepting the
police status quo or reinstating CHOP. Both lead to unacceptable horrors. But it's
not good enough to point out that the status quo is horrible, one must identify
specific actionable plans on what is to be done.

Are protestors pushing for policies the country needs by listing actionable and
identifiable plans (if not extant bills Congress could pass tomorrow if there were
the political will to do it) and then insisting on their implementation? I'm thinking
of policies such as cutting the war budget at least in half and redirecting former
war budget money to pay for social services and funding federal guarantees to people?
Americans need Medicare for All (2 bills exist to implement this now), a home for
every American (not Cabrini Green-style warehousing), a Universal Basic Income, a
national jobs program, recalling troops, ships, and weapons back home (including
flatly abandoning occupations), local control over policing (not advisory boards),
and clawing back the trillions of the "CARES" Act (which got widespread bipartisan
support including so-called Congressional "progressives" like Ilhan Omar and
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) so that that money can be spent in direct cash payments to
the public instead of the majority of CARES money going to the wealthiest people and
businesses.