[Peace-discuss] The Fear Surrounding the Death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg is Unhealthy

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 21:55:51 UTC 2020

The Fear Surrounding the Death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg is Unhealthyby Benjamin
Studebaker

Over the past week, there has been a very strong emotional reaction to the
death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I am not talking about the grief–it is
perfectly normal for Ginsburg’s many admirers to grieve her loss. But it
has gone beyond grief. There is a climate of intense fear surrounding
Ginsburg’s death. Over the past few months, the Democrats have tried to
make the 2020 election feel existential. They want us to feel that we have
to vote for Biden, because otherwise democracy itself will be destroyed.
This has led to a lot of exaggeration. I have been reluctant to write on
it, because the reactions people are having are so extreme. But contrary to
the increasingly hysterical narrative, there is little reason to think that
Ginsburg’s death will have massive political consequences. Here’s why.

The argument has three main components:

   1. The impact of Ginsburg has been dramatically exaggerated
   2. The court is not likely to make the judgements people fear
   3. The Democrats have a political interest in misleading us about #1 and

Let’s take these points in turn.

https://benjaminstudebaker.com/2020/09/25/the-fear-surrounding-the-death-of-ruth-bader-ginsburg-is-unhealthy/