[Peace-discuss] What's so special about Jimmy Dore these days?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Thu Apr 15 23:51:13 UTC 2021

I've received a few emails asking why I think so highly of Jimmy Dore and point
peace-discuss readers to his videos. I thought I'd take this opportunity to respond
to this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=M0G2Rs5k5xM has a good summary of why I think Jimmy
Dore's show matters:

- Important stories that require guts to cover are covered by Jimmy Dore and the
journalists he points his audience to including The Grayzone, Glenn Greenwald, some
work from Secular Talk (youtube.com show), Jordan Chariton, Status Coup (youtube.com
show), some labor activists doing one-off stories about striking workers, and not a
whole lot of other places.

- There are a lot of shills and establishment-friendly repeaters who go along with
establishment narrative & fake news. Russiagate, Brazil's "Operation Car Wash"
exposé, exposing the fake Syrian gas attack, the ongoing torture and imprisonment of
Julian Assange, and a proper view of recent economic scandals (including
#ForceTheVote, Amazon labor organizing/union creation/union busting, and what
happened in the CARES Act) are a few of the biggest stories of the past 5 years. But
the establishment media has covered them all badly (and some not covered at all, on
purpose). CNN, BBC, (MS)NBC, Democracy Now, Disney, PBS, The Young Turks, Washington
Post, The New York Times, and The Intercept are some of the establishment
propagandists who will distract you or flatly ignore important stories.

- I don't expect this to last: Jimmy Dore has repeatedly told us that he's not above
being co-opted -- he repeats that claim in this video. He's not above becoming just
another highly-paid MSNBC Russiagator alongside Rachel Maddow. Nobody has made him an
offer. So instead he points us toward what actual investigative journalists find out.

I have some issues where I disagree with Jimmy Dore to varying degrees:

- Some of Jimmy Dore's criticisms aren't so important and some critiques distract a
little from the point he's making (like commenting on someone's wardrobe or
hairstyle); I don't care if a war criminal has an ill-fitting suit or an unflattering
haircut.

- His review of former Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard's claim to anti-war fame (I
suspect he's still sweet on her).

- His review of Sen. Bernie Sanders (which is changing more toward something
defensible and backed in facts, like what the late Bruce A. Dixon told us before the
2016 election in https://blackagendareport.com/bernie-sanders-sheepdog-4-hillary).

- The challenge he faces with his endorsement of The People's Party (particularly in
light of the abject failure of the so-called "Justice Democrats" to be anything but
just Democrats): Should The People's Party get people elected to Congress, how will
that party prevent those People's Party Congressmembers from becoming establishment
bulwarks? I think it would be good to get some challenging questions in front of TPP
and after seeing 6 or so People's Party-related interviews on The Jimmy Dore Show I
know I'm not going to get those questions posed there or answered there.

Right now, none of those objections amount to something so important that they
genuinely interfere with my ability to appreciate the importance of the stories and
views which he brings up on his show.