[Peace-discuss] What's so special about Jimmy Dore these days?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Apr 17 00:07:30 UTC 2021

I wrote:
> There are a lot of shills and establishment-friendly repeaters who go along with
> establishment narrative & fake news. Russiagate, Brazil's "Operation Car Wash"
> exposé, exposing the fake Syrian gas attack, the ongoing torture and imprisonment
> of Julian Assange, and a proper view of recent economic scandals (including
> #ForceTheVote, Amazon labor organizing/union creation/union busting, and what
> happened in the CARES Act) are a few of the biggest stories of the past 5 years.
> But the establishment media has covered them all badly (and some not covered at
> all, on purpose). CNN, BBC, (MS)NBC, Democracy Now, Disney, PBS, The Young Turks,
> Washington Post, The New York Times, and The Intercept are some of the
> establishment propagandists who will distract you or flatly ignore important
> stories.

In https://youtube.com/watch?v=TZRomf7vkWg ("Former Employee BLASTS 'Democracy Now'
For Pushing Establishment Propaganda") Aaron Maté and Jimmy Dore pointed out how
Democracy Now (DN) is just another Russiagator with a self-debunking "Russian hackers
targeted election systems in all 50 U.S. states" story
(https://www.democracynow.org/2019/7/26/headlines/gop_blocks_election_security_bills_as_senators_warn_russia_targeted_all_50_states)
which Aaron Maté called "stenography".

I don't agree with Maté when he said at 4m 49s in
https://youtube.com/watch?v=TZRomf7vkWg:

> Aaron Maté: [...] it's like they've forgotten everything that made them so great!
> You know, which was exposing all this stuff. Now they're peddling it! And it all
> happened in the Trump era. It all happened in the Russiagate era. It happened, you
> know, and again -- I don't think it's because they sold out to money or whatever
> else, I just think Trump broke a lot of people's brains. Russiagate was presented
> as the thing that was gonna bring Trump down. It was presented as the explanation
> for Trump's victory and then the answer to his presidency because it was going to
> do him in because Mueller was going to find a secret conspiracy. And people like,
> unfortunately, Amy Goodman and Democracy Now got duped by it and got duped into
> going along with it and into promoting the most vile world views that they used to
> once expose. It's crazy and it's not just with Trump and Russia, they also did
> that with Syria too; their coverage on Syria has been just awful.

I think that this explanation requires more psychological justification than has been
backed with evidence.

Danny Haiphong has criticized DN on DN's China coverage in
https://blackagendareport.com/democracy-now-provides-progressive-cover-state-department-propaganda-campaign-against-china
which begins: