[Peace-discuss] What will the People's Party offer?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Jan 11 00:28:53 UTC 2021

I wrote:
> Does anyone have any specific and sourced information on what Brana's effort is
> promoting?

In summary: I have something of an answer here, the most I think anyone could have on
this until they run candidates. Not much has changed since my earlier post but things
might be reasonably read as slightly worse for not doing a better job clarifying the
details.

Here's the detailed version:

Source: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Mvveu4jxJAk is Nick Brana's latest interview with
Jimmy Dore.

Prior to the above clip of Jimmy Dore's live show, 2020 Democratic Party presidential
candidate Marianne Williamson said she was "politically homeless". She made this
comment to Jimmy Dore just after the self-styled progressives of "the squad"
unanimously failed to withhold their vote for Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House.
They all voted for Pelosi and as a result Pelosi will end up retiring as Speaker, the
person who decides which bills come to the floor of the House. Pelosi is a firm
opponent of Medicare for All. Therefore Pelosi will prevent Rep. Jayapal's Medicare
for All bill from coming to the floor for a vote. But that's presumably okay with
Jayapal because Jayapal voted for Pelosi too (per
https://www.congress.gov/congressional-record/2021/1/3/167/house-section/article/h2-5).
So I figure that this is how Jayapal announced that she's abandoning her own bill.

Nick Brana & Jimmy Dore have a different plan than working with Democrats and hoping
for the Democrats to use strategic opportunities to get us what we need (such as
Medicare for All), Brana has started a new political party called "The People's Party".

In the above interview Brana & Dore admit:

- that trying to steer the Democratic Party from within is a "failed experiment" (Dore).

- "it's our fault if we don't get onboard" (Brana) with joining a progressive party
to push for progressive change.

The People's Party will:

- not take corporate money,
- run representatives for Congress in 2022,
- run someone for president in 2024,
- have "national ballot access across the country, all 50 states, and our
representatives, you know what? You're never going to wonder whether they support
Medicare for All and they're going to fight for it, because you're going to know that
because they don't answer to Nancy Pelosi, they're not trying to get committee seats,
they're not trying to horse trade with neoliberal Democrats, they're not afraid that
the DCCC is going to come and primary them. That's not gonna happen. So you're gonna
know where they stand when we elect them. That's what we plan on doing." (Brana)

As I see it:

- not taking corporate money is meaningless.

As Jimmy Dore has rightly pointed out, we already see Democrats who ran and won on
not taking corporate money (I believe Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, AOC, is one such
former candidate who got elected and recently re-elected). But AOC obeys the
instructions of those who do take corporate money (like Nancy Pelosi who takes money
from HMOs, for example). Therefore there is no need to distinguish between an AOC who
does or who does not take corporate money. Pelosi knows that she can stay in power by
sharing some of her corporate largesse with obedient Congresspeople. So not only is
it meaningless to not directly take corporate money, we don't know what's to prevent
the People's Party from having someone else do what Pelosi does in the Democratic Party.

- running in 2022 and 2024 is the next time we can more fully evaluate the People's
Party's politics.

I don't blame the People's Party for this; every party has to start somewhere and
they can only run candidates when the elections are going. But it stands to reason
that closer to 2022 is the earliest we'll be able to evaluate whether the People's
Party is worthwhile.

- not reporting to Nancy Pelosi is meaningless.

Any other party can do the same thing Pelosi has done/is doing for the Democrats --
take whatever money they have and redistribute some of it to other candidates
effectively buying their loyalty to the agenda they support.

- Regarding Dore's claim that things would be different if these so-called "justice
Democrats" weren't in the Democratic Party.

Dore said self-styled 'progressives' "have zero strategy": "imagine if they weren't
in the Democratic Party. They would work together to get their agenda instituted
instead of not working together, having zero strategy, and rolling over for the
corporatists, which is [the] exact opposite of what they said they would do".

Perhaps they did exactly what Dore said, but for a strategy that works against our
interests. Perhaps rolling over for the corporatists was their strategy and they
worked together to achieve that end. The question for us wondering what to make of
the People's Party is what would prevent the People's Party from doing the same thing?

- they don't address what this means for Democratic Party-affiliated people who are
close to Jimmy Dore's show including:

Nina Turner -- who is now running as a Democrat, accepting donations via her
actblue.com donation processing website, and posting vaguely about "unity against
neo-fascism, white supremacy, poverty, and militarism" (paraphrased from
https://twitter.net/ninaturner/status/1348377325885411337). Her campaign seems like
any other "squad" member's campaign to me. She's got a tough job ahead of her but I
will be surprised if she actually challenges the Democrats in any meaningful way (not
rhetoric).

Former Rep. Tulsi Gabbard -- whose headshot appeared on the People's Party banner for
a while (I see this solely as the People's Party wish to get Gabbard to affiliate
with them, not any sign of affiliation coming from Gabbard who has clearly spoken
against third-party politics to both Primo Nutmeg and CBS). Her pro-drone militarism
and her joining the coordinated push to make Biden the 'nominee' for the DNC
corporation told me what I needed to know about her Congressional representation.

Marianne Williamson -- whose Democratic Party affiliation I already mentioned.

- Dore pointed out that Kyle Kulinski is a founder of the "Justice Democrats", all of
whom voted for Pelosi as Speaker even when Kulinski supported #ForceTheVote.

I figured that (for all we know) Kulinski has no real power among that group and he
coordinated with these Democrats to field the #ForceTheVote PR supportively thus
shielding the Justice Democrats who support HMOs instead. This foreshadows a
comparable lack of power for Nick Brana, founder of the People's Party should
representatives from that party come to power and thus face a challenge between
pleasing the wealthy versus standing up for the progressive values they ran on.

The Jimmy Dore show has raised good points backed with examples on plenty of other
shows, but Dore doesn't seem to think ahead to how his own points bite him and Brana
in the ass with the People's Party effort. Dore also seems shy about explicitly
applying his own critiques to friends of the show. What would be a clear win for
Dore: bring up these critiques, naming the names of the Democratic Party
sympathizers/collaborators, and begin addressing them consistently (drumbeat
coverage) with the anti-Democratic Party criticism he already raises on virtually
every show.

Therefore this is where I diverge from Jimmy Dore's politics -- I understand that
it's not in Dore's interest to always explicitly connect dots on his show; that makes
it harder to get powerful guests. But as Dore has acknowledged, people running for
office as progressives use his show as a stepping stone to more power in Congress
(AOC did this, for example). They end up handing Dore footage which he later uses to
embarrass them by pointing out their hypocrisy. The corollary of this is don't
believe the next person who seeks Congressional power with or under the Democratic
Party because "you don't change the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party changes
you" and "there ain't no fight inside the Democratic Party" (Dore).