[Peace-discuss] Further reflections on BLM: former supporters point to fraudulence

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Jun 2 22:09:39 UTC 2021

I wrote:
> I was watching Glenn Greenwald's latest interview (
> https://youtube.com/watch?v=I_2CVBN4mlo ) which is with Andray Domise
> (described as "definitely a militant supporter of [Black Lives
> Matter]" at 2m40s). I think this interview eventually gets into
> something relevant to this discussion: BLM co-optation. I think this
> ends up backing up David Green's criticism of BLM (particularly when
> he wrote that "[BLM's] analysis is preposterous, with no material
> component whatsoever.").

Today RT published https://youtube.com/watch?v=oLnRxXHD1I0 ("Moral &
financial fraud | Black families slam BLM") summarizing some recent
problems with Black Lives Matter (BLM) including former supporters
pointing out what they identify as fraudulent behavior by BLM. The more
BLM goes on, the more it seems like BLM was built to be co-opted by the
establishment in order to make BLM's founders wealthy and/or famous.

Looking back, it's hard to put a finger on specific beneficial policy
changes BLM had a hand in writing or forcing into law. It's not hard to
find pro-BLM sloganeering, grandstanding speeches, and flag-waving
(including establishment support of BLM which is a sign that BLM is no
threat to the establishment). But for all of the highly visible PR, we
don't see policy changes that help ordinary people avoid being beaten
or killed by the police, we don't see communities gaining control over
police policy and reviewing how the police carry out their work.