[Peace-discuss] Fw: The Clubhouse Room That Is Changing The World

Dianna Visek divisek at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 9 18:51:36 UTC 2021

|  |

Hi Dianna,

Have you joined Clubhouse? In case you haven’t heard, Clubhouse is a new invitation-only app used for audio chat rooms where users can participate in or listen into conversations happening about every topic under the Sun.

I’ve only been on Clubhouse for about a month, but I’ve already witnessed something incredible.

After tensions and violence were on the rise once again last month between Israel and Palestine, a major attack was carried out on May 10th that brought the global conversation back to this conflict. What was heard from the mainstream was nothing new. Typical voices argued that one country or the other was to blame, radicals from opposing worldviews made their case why only their preferred side deserved to exist.

However, one week later, something different happened.

On Monday, May 17th, a Clubhouse room was opened called simply, “Meet Palestinians & Israelis”. I entered and sat quietly, listening to the voices of Muslims in Palestine, Jews in Israel; people raised to see each other as enemies only. And yet, the voices were not filled with hate. For days I listened to stories filled with heartache, love, fear, strength, hurt, empathy, desperation, hope. Intentional moderators gently guided conversations away from accusations and arguments and encouraged every individual to just tell their story and listen to others share theirs. I heard stories from a Palestinian farmer, a Jewish woman and her Arab husband, a doctor in Gaza, and dozens of people who have fled or been displaced due to the violence. One story that I haven’t been able to shake was from a Palestinian man who watched a YouTube video from a popular Conservative organization that said all Palestinians hate Israelis. He fought back tears asking why someone would say this about him when he seeks to bring love to people whenever he can.

These stories continued without end for fourteen days as tens of thousands of people passed through this room. At the two week mark, they chose to close the room for the first time, and are now bringing it back for shorter bursts.

This app and this room has already done what governments and regimes have failed at again and again. For the first time that I’ve observed, people on opposite sides of perhaps the most well-known conflict are sitting at the table together. They are showing respect to one another while standing firm in their truth. They come with confidence and pride, yet earnestly and honestly seek common ground and healing.

“Meet Palestinians & Israelis” is libertarianism playing out before our eyes. Old and young, rich and poor, Arab and Israeli alike are declaring that their governments have failed them and that they are taking this into their own hands; without weapons, but with open minds and hearts. While the US government continues to act like a solution exists in billions spent on providing weapons and aid, the actual victims of the never-ending war we have made ourselves accessory to are writing a new page that history will not forget.

The Libertarian Party is clear in our defiance to the general sentiments of war held by both Republicans and Democrats in the government. Just as we see in the US, the warmongers of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict are more interested in power than in solutions that would ease suffering and save lives.

In Liberty & Peace,

Bekah Congdon
Development Associate

|      |

|   Libertarian National Committee   |
|   1444 Duke St.Alexandria, VA 22314   |