[Peace-discuss] UBI shown to work... again.

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Mar 6 02:11:32 UTC 2021

Every study of a UBI I know of shows the same thing -- it works to keep people out of
insolvency, desperation, and increases the odds the recipient will find paying work.

Here's another UBI report saying much the same thing --
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/03/stockton-universal-basic-income/ begins:
> Residents of Stockton, Calif., who received $500 a month from a first-of-its-kind
> guaranteed-income program were more likely to find full-time jobs, be happy and
> stay healthy, according to a year-long study published Wednesday.
>
> Supporters of universal income programs — which provide regular, unconditional
> payments from the government to people — say the findings should dispel common
> criticisms of the idea, such as that money with no strings attached will become a
> disincentive for people to work or will encourage them to spend it on drugs and
> alcohol.
>
> Recipients of the monthly payments were twice as likely to gain full-time
> employment than others, according to data analysis by a pair of independent
> researchers, Stacia West of the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and Amy
> Castro Baker of the University of Pennsylvania. Most of the money distributed was
> spent on food or other essentials. Tobacco or alcohol made up less than 1 percent
> of tracked purchases.

So why won't the establishment use their access to power to push for a UBI? I'd guess
that power over other people's lives is an end unto itself (much like money) and a
very valued power. Hence those in power will pay the price to make sure there is no
American UBI.

Don't let Rep. Tlaib's work on this fool you, the Democrats won't get you a UBI any
more than having 2 Medicare for All bills in Congress now gets you Medicare for All
(a consistently highly-approved plan which outranks any HMO and support for which
spans Democrats, Republicans, and the largest political group -- Independents).

And this news comes at almost the same time as we see the Senate Democrats vote down
a $15 minimum wage (which itself is too little too late to be a living wage by now).
The so-called "Justice Democrats" (self-described progressives) aren't using their
leverage to raise a finger of objection. Jimmy Dore's live on this right now with a
video to come and covered another aspect of this in
https://youtube.com/watch?v=xfyMmEdEQ40.