[Peace-discuss] RT: "African Union wants Russian sanctions lifted"; BBC: "Russian military control" shows more land than land "Held or regained by Ukraine"

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Jun 3 19:55:25 UTC 2022

Apparently the US-based sanctions against Russia are also harming Africa (these same
sanctions are also harming Americans).

RT: The continent faces the worst hunger in decades as global food prices soar.

 From https://www.rt.com/business/556561-africa-wants-russian-sanctions-lifted/
> Western sanctions against Russia threaten Africa with a food security crisis, the
> head of the African Union (AU) and Senegalese President Macky Sall said during a
> meeting, in Sochi, on Friday with Russian President Vladimir Putin. He advocated
> the abolition of restrictions that apply to Russian grain crops and mineral
> fertilizers.
>
> “Sanctions against the Russian Federation have exacerbated the situation because
> we no longer have access to grain, especially wheat from Russia, and most
> importantly, to fertilizers, which poses a serious threat to food security on the
> continent,” said Sall.
>
> He pointed out two major problems, the global food crisis and anti-Russia
> sanctions, and said those problems needed to be worked out so that food products,
> in particular grains and fertilizers, are removed from the sanctions list.
>
> President Putin, meanwhile, said that Russian-African relations are currently at a
> new stage of development, which is very important for both sides. “I would like to
> remind that our country has always been on the side of Africa, supported Africa in
> the fight against colonialism,” he said.
>
> According to Putin, the volume of bilateral trade between Russia and the continent
> has been growing and is up by more than 34% in the first months of this year.
>
> The United Nations has warned recently of a worsening global food crisis due to
> the conflict in Ukraine and Western sanctions on Russia. The situation is
> particularly dire in East Africa, a region that has traditionally procured roughly
> 90% of its imported grain from Russia and Ukraine.
>
> According to the UN World Food Program, even before the crisis in Ukraine, around
> 13 million people in the Horn of Africa suffered from hunger. Moreover, according
> to the agency, the situation could become even more troublesome due to a drought
> that affected crops and killed livestock in Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia.
>
> The UN estimates that the global food crisis could put 323 million people on the
> brink of starvation.

Related:

CrossTalk | ‘Sanctions, more sanctions’ (with guests Charles Ortel, Tom Luongo, and
Pepe Escobar)
https://rumble.com/v176ip3-crosstalk-sanctions-more-sanctions.html
want a NATO-Russia war. He was unclear about how the conflict in Ukraine should end
and negotiations do not appear to be a high priority. In the meantime, the EU has
agreed to a sixth round of sanctions. All the while, Ukraine is losing on the
battlefield."

Regarding the claim, "Ukraine is losing on the battlefield", consider the map
(https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/1681D/production/_124998129_ukraine_invasion_east_map_-nc.png
also attached) included in the report from the state-owned establishment-friendly
outlet BBC. In this report the area in red indicating "Russian military control" is a
significantly larger than the area in purple marked "held or regained by Ukraine":

Ukraine war in maps: Tracking the Russian invasion
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60506682