[Peace-discuss] Common Misconceptions in the US About Ukraine

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Sep 9 03:03:09 UTC 2022

As much as this is a vastly improved set of statements over what Noam Chomsky, Medea
Benjamin, and others commonly associated with peace movements have said about this
war, I still find some problems with it. There are important details being left out
which could well change how we see Russia in this conflict.

Quoting "How to Respond to Common Misconceptions in the US About Ukraine" by Marcy
Winograd
(https://scheerpost.com/2022/09/08/how-to-respond-to-common-misconceptions-in-the-us-about-ukraine/)

> Statement: Russia’s invasion of Ukraine was unjustified AND unprovoked.
>
> Response: Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is an unjustified war that violates the UN
> Charter requiring UN member states to refrain from the “use of force against the
> territorial integrity or political independence of any state. The United States,
> however, provoked the Russian invasion of Ukraine by supporting the expansion of
> NATO, a hostile military alliance, backing a coup to overthrow a democratically
> elected President, and sending arms to Ukraine since 2014. This made Ukraine, in
> the eyes of Russia, an armed camp and existential threat.
The response appears inconsistent and even a little self-contradictory to me.
Russia's repeated attempts at peace (including the Minsk accord which gets no mention
in this response and the ongoing US-backed shelling of the Donbas) are getting little
to no credit. The US's Ukrainian bio labs (which Nuland admitted exist) get no
coverage in establishment media but threaten people in and around Ukraine most
directly (the rest of the world indirectly). The "unjustified" remark at the top of
the response is itself not clearly justified.

Complainers need to make it clear what a country should do when another country
creates an existential threat and what to do when those measures fail to stop the
threat. I'm reminded of Aaron Maté's repeated response about this conflict where he
says that he thinks that Russia should have taken a different action than invading
Ukraine but he never states (1) what Russia should have done instead, and (2) what
Russia did prior to invading Ukraine that was wrong or in some way bad. There's also
no accounting for how Russia has handled the Ukrainian territory and how that differs
from Iraqi territory after the US/UK-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

> Statement: You can’t negotiate with Putin. Negotiations will never lead anywhere.
There's no specific issue being raised with negotiating with Putin here. I suspect
this is about something else that pro-war agitators can't bring up without being
called anti-capitalist. This line reads to me as 'Putin is a madman' with no backing
in facts.

Rising energy costs hit people hard -- gas costs in the US have caused some of my
friends and family to stay home, skyrocketing energy bills in European countries
apparently result in bill-burning demonstrations (like what recently happened in
Italy[1]). Americans aren't taking to the streets over this, but Europeans are.

[1] https://odysee.com/@RT:fd/bills_burn_0509:1 or
https://rumble.com/v1isn4x-italians-burn-energy-bills-in-protest-over-government-inaction-as-prices-so.html
for RT's report,
https://rumble.com/v1j5u1f-italians-burn-energy-bills-in-protest.html or
https://youtube.com/watch?v=L1TXqeBKOCE for Jimmy Dore's report.

Consider the recent proposal to Russia that they cap the price on their fuel while
still being sanctioned. Liberals apparently don't like that Russia might behave in
accordance with (1) market forces on energy (when a good becomes more scarce, it
usually costs more to obtain) and (2) Russia's lack of obligation to supply fuel
outside of a contract to supply fuel.

According to Ursula von der Leyen, "We must cut Russia's revenues which Putin uses to
finance this atrocious war against Ukraine"[1]. That means that not only are the US
and EU committing economic suicide now but the US and EU also funding both sides of
this regime change war against Russia via Ukraine. See
https://odysee.com/@RT:fd/us-benefit-energy-crisis:5 or
https://rumble.com/v1j7ruv-us-to-benefit-most-from-high-prices-in-europe-energy-tycoon.html

[1] https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/08/business/liz-truss-energy-price-cap-europe/index.html

As Rachel Marsden (RT commentator) has rightly pointed out, Russia has been secretly
supplying fuel to the EU -- secretly in that EU leaders are virtue signaling over
eliminating Russian fuel sources while taking in Russian fuel by the tanker. See
https://rumble.com/v1j20qn-not-immoral-if-no-one-knows-eu-keeps-getting-russian-oil-via-hidden-routes.html
and https://odysee.com/@RT:fd/shady-oil:b for more on this based on the Nikkei report
that oil from Russia is reaching Europe by hidden routes.

> (S) This is a war between autocracy and democracy, and we must defend democracy
> around the world.
>
> (R) While it’s true we have some semblance of democracy–some people can vote–in
> the United States, the fight to defend democracy must begin at home, where
> neo-fascists legislate to limit voting rights, storm the capitol, spread race
> hatred and back abortion bans to deny women control over their own bodies and send
> doctors who assist them to prison for life. [...]
So much of this is exaggeration ("storm[ing] the capitol"? A bunch of unarmed people
were let into the Capitol by what appears to be a purposefully understaffed police
contingent on Jan. 6 and it's still not clear that the Biden DOJ can defend
allegations of insurrection as Jan. 6 protestors are widely labeled) and typical
liberal bad organizing.

Why not leave abortion out of this and work with those who don't see abortion the way
you see it? What should matter is that you both agree on opposing war with Russia.

It's not even clear that abortion policy change in the US is not democratic: One
might view the change in national abortion policy as moving abortion policy from
declaring abortion policy one way nationwide back to the states.