[Peace-discuss] Recommended and discommended videos I recently watched

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Oct 9 00:14:53 UTC 2023

Recommended:

ScheerPost: Is the Intercept a Deep State Success Story? (w/ John Kiriakou)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=aMBuTzzYChY

- modern journalists don't need to be recruited into the CIA/FBI/etc. These
journalists already behave in a manner consistent with reporting to these agencies.

- Jeremy Scahill helped get Daniel Hale (the fellow who exposed that the vast
majority of drone attacks kill innocent civilians) caught

- entering professions with your own set of ethics because the organization won't
teach you right and wrong

- one of the interviewers said journalism students don't know who Julian Assange is
and don't care; journalists at a talk engaging in name-calling to describe Assange
and not acknowledging that they republished Wikileaks information (merely calling for
the next question from the class instead)

- this helps you understand why Jimmy Dore laughs at anyone who thinks that they need
to go to journalism school to learn to do journalism

ScheerPost: SI: The NSA Is It’s Own Worst Enemy (w/ James Bamford)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=fSNzDvugUgI

- another in a series of very informative interviews from James Bamford who has
probably written the most about the NSA than any other living writer. This interview
is also a promotion for his new book, "Spyfail: Foreign Spies, Moles, Saboteurs, and
the Collapse of America’s Counterintelligence".

ScheerPost: Is Biden...Pro-Labor?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=rD49Nj4Xe3o

- a far more substantive discussion of Biden's stance on unions than the More Perfect
Union piece below. I remain skeptical of the value that pro-labor NLRB appointments
mean a whole lot but the interviewee seems to think that these appointments mean
quite a bit.

- this interview brings up a pay improvement to NAFTA that doesn't get covered much
elsewhere.

- Walter Issacson's biographies of Steve Jobs and Elon Musk both lack any feedback
from the perspective of the workers such as the roughly 1 million Foxconn workers who
make Apple's iThings and thousands of Tesla workers. For a much better take on how
horrific Apple is to their workers, consider reading "Dying for an iPhone" (a related
interview from Chris Hedges when he had an RT show is
https://youtube.com/watch?v=0IgWeP7ngSo and a longer piece
https://youtube.com/watch?v=lnhqPYBAWqM ) and watching
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9hj0HSkCnL0 which is "Apple Whistleblower Ashley Gjøvik
On Retaliation, Toxics & Corruption-Poisoning The People & Workers". Issacson's work
is more in line with what passes for journalism in the tech world --
narrative-following, at times promotional, more hagiography than biography, and never
seriously challenging those in power. Hence Issacson gets to interview elites and
their friends/colleagues.

Discommended:

More Perfect Union: No President Has Done This Before
https://youtube.com/watch?v=mZaoixI1mGc

- one detail-free sentence ("President Biden himself intervened to stop rail workers
from striking last fall") ostensibly covering how badly this self-described "most
pro-union president" treated the railroad workers stepping into a strike in the
making and busting that strike on behalf of railroad owners instead of standing
behind the workers who wanted very meager improvements on the heels of a disastrous
derailment spilling vinyl chloride in East Palestine, Ohio on February 3, 2023 which
caused evacuating the town. A whole section of the video is on how previous
presidents "used their legal authority to block workers from participating in strikes
35 times".

- this piece is even self-contradictory: at 2m39s into the video the narrator says
> There's one previous moment, however, when a president took the side of workers
> and it had a big impact. In 1936, General Motors workers in Flint, Michigan, sat
> down on the job to protest dangerous conditions in the plant. Unlike previous
> presidents who deployed violent tactics against striking workers, then President
> Franklin D. Roosevelt chose not to have the autoworkers forcibly removed. And
> after 44 days, the workers won a union. It was a defining moment that helped build
> a thriving middle class in the coming decades.

So I guess that the thing "no president has done [...] before" is show up, hold a
bullhorn, and give a short speech? I kept hearing what the interviewees said and
asking myself "How?" as in 'How did this visit improve your work picketing? How did
that visit turn into beneficial policy?' but the piece offered no answers.

- the whole piece is light on substance and policy review which justifies the title.
The piece is heavy on substanceless emotional argument which tries to convince you
that Pres. Biden cares about workers. I suspect that this entire video has more to do
with a Democratic Party-friendly outlet (More Perfect Union) pitching for Biden in
his time of need (low approval ratings, poor economy, poor showing against Trump if
elections were held today) rather than asking policy-based questions of interviewees
and reviewing the matter by treating this short Biden visit as what it appears to be
so far -- public relations.