[Peace-political] Revised and expanded statement

Jen Roth j-roth at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 17 14:45:06 CDT 2001

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Peter Miller wrote:

> When talking to Tim's staffer, we should have a concise, easy-to-understand
> one-page document with rationale and specific requests for action.  Here's
> my proposal for what we take to his office.
> -Peter
>
> We are U.S. citizens and residents interested in helping our government
> find the least violent response possible to the attacks of September
> 11.  We offer the following sentiments and observations:
>
> The US government should offer all aid necessary to assist the victims.
>
> The US government should capture those responsible for the attacks.  The
> mindless killing of thousands of innocent civilians should not be allowed
> to happen, and if the planners of the attacks can be found and tried in a
> fair and just trial, they should be imprisoned.

Suggested rewording:

"The US government should work with other nations to capture those
responsible for the attacks.  If the planners of the attacks can be found
and tried in a fair and just trial, they should be imprisoned.  The assets
of those who funded this operation should be found and frozen.
Retaliatory bombing or other strategies which kill and cause suffering for
innocent civilians must be rejected."

I think the rest is great, including Al Kagan's suggestion that we stress
the protection of Muslim- and Arab-Americans, and those who might be
mistaken for them.

--
Jen Roth
j-roth at uiuc.edu