[rfu-automation] Studio computers: iMac not needed

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 1 03:04:56 CDT 2006

Dan:

I think you missed my point.

It was that with the automation computer kept in the production room, only
one computer would be needed in the studio. It would be a Windows machine
that would be used for:

   1. Transmitter monitoring
   2. Playing local music via iTunes
   3. Playing local music, IDs, PSAs, show ads, etc. via ZaraRadio
   4. Any other web browsing or Internet-based computer desired by the
   show host.

why would we take up space by having two computers running two
> versions of the exact software when one will do it.

One reason is that less space would be taken up in the studio (only one
computer needed there) .

Antother reasons is that the studio computer could be used as a backup
automation computer if the primary automation computer faiiled (unless
someone is making backups now, if the automation disk drive fails now, we
will lose all the local music that has been ripped there, as well as the
ZaraRadio playlist and event files).

 in all of the radio studios
> i have worked on the automation and computer that djs play songs off
> are the same.

Do they also use the DJ computer to play live web streams and to
automatically download program updates via iTunes that if turned off will
stop downloading updated program files? Right now, if a DJ goes a bit past
2pm, Radio Bilingue will be available and ready to go at the touch of a
slider. But if the DJ has to restart the automation after a program, if it
is done one second after Radio Bilingue is scheduled to play, a large
initial chunk of the program will not play.

i understand your concern and your solution is
> not a bad idea except that we would have to have another input
> dedicated for 2 computers.

I don't quite understand this. It is no different from what we are doing
right now with the studio sound computer on one input and the automation
computer on another.

Also, would it be possible to rip CDs into the automation computer if it is
in the studio from outside via Remote Desktop or some other means?

--Gary