[rfu-automation] Anything goes on the automated musical playlist?

Lynsee Melchi lynseemelchi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 12:17:02 CDT 2006

I'm w/Joe on this one.  I think anything should go as far as what our
playlist contains.  No one (except maybe me) is going to like
everything that is played on the automation.  Some may not like
hearing the news of Ireland at 8am, some may not like weirdo "sound"
tracks, some may not like hiphop, some....the list continues.  But we
are a mosaic of what folks are creating in the community.  It's not
all going to be good.  It's not all going to be stuff folks like.
That's just life.  Also the process by which we eliminate certain
types of whatever is extra "policy" that we don't need to deal w/right
now.  W/the little local stuff we do have, we can't afford to be
cutting things out on tastes since we need those tracks to beef up our
local playlist.

The longest tracks we have in the system probably top out around 10
minutes.  I don't think we have many that go over that time limit.
This is an area we might want to regulate in the future too.  I
personally would like to see local DJs make mixes that are at the most
about 10 min long so that we can have more local electronic music
represented.  Right now we have a bit, but it's all chopped up by
track and that's not the way to listen to electronica.  The mix (at
the beginning and end of a track) is what's important and right now
it's just the middles of tracks that we have.  I've been talking this
up w/local DJs, but have yet to see any submissions yet.

That's my 2 cents.  No restriction!!!  Radio FREE Urbana ;)

Lynsee

On 7/6/06, Gary Cziko <g-cziko at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Joe et al.:
>
> I can go along with this, using only length to screen musical contributions.
>
> The next question is do we want to limit the automated music playlist to
> stuff that most would agree is music?
>
> This morning at 7:57 or so there was a track containing repeated words (lots
> of "play") with weird effects. I don't this qualifies as music, unless
> adding non-musical sound effects to spoken language is considered music by
> some.
>
> But then again, perhaps we should open up the automation lists to include
> spoken word artists, too. People recording their own poems (may be copyright
> issues in recording others' poems)?
>
> --Gary
>

>  On 7/5/06, Joe Futrelle <futrelle at shout.net> wrote:
> > In the interest of serving the community, we should keep our musical
> > preferences out of these kinds of decisions. If someone from the
> > community contributes content, we should put it in the automation
> > system, regardless of what we think of it, unless it's obscene or
> > otherwise unplayable (e.g., a five-minute long track of silence, a
> > commercial or political ad, libel, etc.).
> >
> > That said, we have an issue with long tracks in automation, since
> > Zara shuffles tracks with no regard to how long they are, giving
> > longer tracks more airplay over any given period of time. That argues
> > for some kind of length limits--or coming up with a time-based
> > shuffling algorithm we can use to generate playlists.
> >
> > --
> > Joe Futrelle
> > Person
> >

> > On Jul 5, 2006, at 9:56 AM, Gary Cziko wrote:
> >
> > > All:
> > >
> > > From about 9:30 to 9:45 this morning WRFU broadcasted a solo
> > > clarinet piece that, in my opinion, doesn't belong on the air, at
> > > least not in its current form.
> > >
> > > It is very long, amateurish and  repetitive. I can't  imagine
> > > anyone (other than perhaps the "artist" or his or her parents) not
> > > being turned off after a few minutes of this and turning off WRFU.
> > >
> > > This raises an interesting question about what we want to keep on
> > > the automation system. My musical taste and preferences certainly
> > > shouldn't be the criterion. In fact, I'd like to have nothing to do
> > > with deciding what merits a place in the automated music rotation
> > > and what doesn't. But I think it is something we ought to discuss
> > > at our meeting next Tuesday at 7 pm.
> > >
> > > --Gary
> > >
> > > P.S. I apologize if my musical critique of the track in question
> > > has offended anyone who might read this, as this was not my intent.
> > > Perhaps the artist is even on this mailing list. If that is the
> > > case, keep practicing!
> >

> --
> Gary Cziko
> Professor
> Educational Psychology & English as an International Language
> University of Illinois
> 1310 S. Sixth Street
> [...]

Tune in to More Fire! on Radio Free Urbana 104.5FM.  More Fire! is a
crazy music extravaganza on Monday nights 11pm-1am (or later).  Check
us out online at: www.wrfu.net.