[rfu-automation] Anything goes on the automated musical playlist?

Joe Futrelle futrelle at shout.net
Thu Jul 6 19:21:05 CDT 2006

The piece you're referring to, Gary, is undoubtedly "playset" by Dr.
Bethany Cooper--my wife--which she composed as part of the
requirements for completing her doctorate in music composition and
theory.

Bethany's work is informed by the work of Kenneth Gaburo, who during
his decades-long academic and non-academic career (some of which he
spent here at the University of Illinois) invented a kind of music
called "compositional linguistics" where spoken sounds were used as
musical compositional elements. The "non-musical sound effects"
you're describing were also heavily influenced by the work of
prominent composers such as Kaija Saariaho, who is generally
considered one of the most important avant-garde composers of the
late 20th century and today.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:vx7ibkg9aakv~T00
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=41:5430~T00

It's great that we have unusual musicians like Bethany in the
community. It behooves us to respect their creativity and not
blacklist their work because we presume that most people won't like
it. Local artists are part of the community we're trying to serve.

Just let local artists put their stuff on automation and don't sweat
it. If some listener (including you or me) doesn't like it, who
cares? They can subscribe to satellite radio, visit the iTunes music
store, or listen to one of their favorite CD's. But RFU is the *only*
outlet for some of these local artists, and that's what we should be.

--
Joe Futrelle
Person