[rfu-automation] Anything goes on the automated musical playlist?

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 7 10:48:27 CDT 2006

Joe et al.:

I'm actually quite comfortable with keeping the automation playlist as open
and free as possible, with some reasonable time limits for selections.

It was the 15-minute amateur clarinet solo that got me going on this (I
probably wouldn't have brought it up if it had not been so long).. And then
Bethany's piece made me start thinking of what was considered and intended
to be "music" and if wanted to keep the automation limited to "music."

I think our principal objective should be to try to (a) get as much local
"audio art" as possible, (b) make sure we don't play profane and/or indecent
stuff between 6 am and 10 pm or play obscene stuff anytime, and (c) get Loco
Robo DJ to let us now what we are listening to (which should also help to
motivate local artists to contribute their stuff).

I would put stuff like grouping by genre on a far back burner, although it
would be nice to have this possibility for later use if we decided we wanted
to do it.

While a very eclectic and random playlist might turn off some listeners some
times, it might well bring that same listener back soon out of curiosity.

--Gary