[rfu-automation] Anything goes on the automated musical playlist?

Joe Futrelle futrelle at shout.net
Fri Jul 7 10:24:58 CDT 2006

Did we ever decide that we should only put music on automation? If
so, I would just argue for a very inclusive definition of "music" so
we don't mistakenly pull some music like Bethany's piece. I would
also propose adding non-music to automation. For instance local poet
Michael Holloway, who lives in range of RFU in Urbana, has put out a
great CD of him reading his poetry in a very engaging style, and I'd
be happy to contribute that.

I'm not sure there's anywhere we ought to draw the line on automation
except stuff that violates our 501c3 (political endorsements), FCC
regulations (obscenity, indecency during non-safe-harbor), non-
protected speech (libel, verbal threats), and copyright violations
(unlicensed content).

But this doesn't really address a concern I think I'm hearing from
you, Gary, which is that a completely eclectic automation programming
style probably doesn't work for a certain class of listener, a
certain time of day, or some other listening context. That doesn't
concern me personally, but I admit that it's a potential concern that
I don't think my and Lynsee's comments recently have attempted to
seriously address. I think there are ways to address it that don't
require completely pulling tracks that are especially unusual, for
instance our earlier discussion of changing the shuffling process so
there's more continuity (by genre, or whatever) from one track to the
next. This kind of thing is technically possible, so I will look into
how to program it along with looking into a time-based shuffling
algorithm, and report back to the group when I have something working.

--
Joe Futrelle
Person