[rfu-automation] Re: D'oh!

Joe Futrelle futrelle at shout.net
Thu Jun 22 14:00:22 CDT 2006

"ass", "bitch", and "damn" are completely fine. There are also numerous
precedents where the FCC has found words like "dickhead" completely
acceptable.

I think we should *not* pull songs with language in them that the FCC has
and continues to find acceptable. The only words we should consider a "big
deal" are the seven ones that the FCC consistently considers completely
unacceptable: fuck, shit, piss, cunt, asshole, motherfucker, and
cocksucker (and their variants like "motherfucking"). "pissed off" is
acceptable AFAIK but better safe than sorry on that one IMO (it's very low
risk but I personally don't like nonzero risk).

On Thu, June 22, 2006 1:47 pm, Gary Cziko said:
> Lynsee:
>
> I heard a song w/ass in it today at around 10am.  it's by a group
>> called Treologic.  I think the song was called Dusty Roads, but I'm
>> not sure.  If you get a chance can you take this song and the Acting
>> of Faith show ad off the system.  I will try to remember it when I go
>> in, but I might forget.
>

> I will be at the IMC this afternoon and should be able to do this.
>
> John said that ass, bitch, and damn were okay on the radio at any time
>> of the day.  What do you know about this?  How can stations like WPGU
>> 107.1 and 105.5 (the hiphop station) get away w/playing songs like
>> this and it's such a big deal on our station???  I don't get it.
>

> I would guess that ass, bitch and damn or OK. Ass is a type of donkey (I
> think), a bitch is a female dog and damn is what happens to you if you
> don't
> read the Bible (some believe).
>
> Oh no...does this scream for another policy...
>

> This is what I would recommend for the automation music:
>

>    1. Music that has been verified as "clean" will be played any time
>    during the day or night.
>    2. Music that has not been checked as "clean" can be played only from
>    10 pm to 6 am (so we are safe in case it is "naughty"),
>    3. Music that is known to be "naughty" is not put on the automation
>    system. Music on the system found to be "naughty" is taken off. This
> way we
>    have some protection if the computer screws up and plays the late night
>    playlist during the day.
>
> So basically this mean clean music can be heard any time. Unchecked music
> can be heard only during safe harbor.  Known naughty music is never heard.
>
> This would mean we could add lot of new unchecked music to the system and
> only pull them off when someone reports a naughty tune.
>
> What do people think?
>
> --Gary

Joe Futrelle
Person