[rfu-automation] Leaving in?

Lynsee Melchi lynseemelchi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 15:02:37 CDT 2006

This sounds like it begs for a policy that we can bring to the wider group,
because I'm sure folks will have input on this.

For example while Ray is down for no swear words during 6am-10pm (won't
someone think of the children?), I think that if you can hear that stuff on
any commercial station during the day then I don't see why we can't play
that stuff.  It's not like every song is a curse fest.   I remember when
"Bitch" by Meredith Brooks was popular...I never heard that song bleeped and
it was getting play on like top 40 and light rock type stations.  In a
practical sense it is more work.  In an ideological sense it's more
censorship.  I've been watching the Simpsons a lot during the day and during
primetime and they say the B(itch)A(ass)D(amn) words on that show.  I know
it's TV, but it's still at an hour that is totally accessible to kids.  If
anything I'd like to see "bitch" go but I don't really see any reason why
the other two aren't okay if it's seems acceptable in other media forms.  I
heard that WEFT has a super strict policy about swearing (like you need
written permission during safe harbor even) and I'd really NOT like to see
that on our station.  I think it's unnecessary and, frankly, prudish.

I've been busy at work editing, but until we can get something decided on
and approved by the whole group I think I'm going to stop.  Or at least only
let songs w/out any cursing thru.

Lynsee

--
Tune in to More Fire! on Radio Free Urbana 104.5FM.  More Fire! is a crazy
music extravaganza on Monday nights 11pm-1am (or later).  Check us out
online at: www.wrfu.net.

"Trust can never be a fortress, a safe enclosure against life.  Trusting is
dangerous.  But without trust there is no hope for love, and love is all we
have to hold against the dark."
       -Creina Alcock-