[rfu-automation] Leaving in?

Joe Futrelle futrelle at shout.net
Thu Jun 29 10:08:08 CDT 2006

Here's my $0.02
- editing is a lot of work; let's wait until there's a station
policy. Thanks Lynsee for starting already, but we don't want you or
anyone to have to redo your work
- not being able to agree on a policy is causing *lots and lots* of
problems--not being able to proceed on bleeping stuff is just one of
many.

Raymond, with all respect your preferences, or mine, shouldn't be the
basis of our policy--we should focus on FCC compliance only. For
instance I would prefer that we allow profanity 24 hours a day, but
that's a complete nonstarter because it would almost certainly result
in actionable cases as far as the FCC is concerned. It's going to be
a lot harder to agree on where we would all *prefer* to draw the line
than where we all think *the FCC* draws the line. So unless by
"needless drama and attention" you mean "a very real threat of an FCC
fine" I don't think the concern should factor into our policy. That
said, we should probably stay somewhere comfortably below the line--
agreeing on where that is is hard anyway ...

Focusing on which words to bleep won't get us far towards agreeing on
a policy, since that's not the basis of FCC indecency policy.
Consider "ass." If a song says, "I'm going to kick your ass," that is
clearly not indecent, since it doesn't in any way refer to sexual or
excretory activities. If it says, "I've got a huge dildo up my ass,"
that is clearly indecent. As much as possible we should strive for a
policy that makes those kind of distinctions. So if someone doesn't
bleep "kick your ass" but does bleep "up your [bleep]" then they
won't get in trouble for not bleeping the former.

--
Joe Futrelle
Person