[rfu-automation] Re: Underwriting plus station ID?

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Wed May 3 10:12:45 CDT 2006

Ray:

Now that I think about it more, there shouldn't be a problem as long as
there is no regulation against having an underwriting announcement within
five minutes of the top of the hour.

Having the station ID incoporated at the beginning of the same audio file
used for the underwriting announcement would make things easier and give
more control over the total length of the station ID plus underwriting
announcement.  Right now, legal station IDs are given 20 seconds to play,
beginning 5 seconds before the hour to 15 seconds after.  I don't see a
problem, however, with opening this window to 25 or 30 seconds for combined
minimal station ID (I can say "WRFU-LP, Urbana" in under 3 seconds) plus
underwriting announcement. Do you think this will be enough time.

Also, for automated IDs-plus-announcement, I think these would best be
scheduled when there is no live show either immediately before or after as
show hosts will often start their show earlier and cut out the automation
before the hour or go over a bit into the next hour (as often happens as 2
pm for Radio Bilngue.  So 3 pm weekdays would be a good time for an
automated station ID plus underwriting announcement, but probably not 2 pm
(beginning) or 4 pm (end).

--Gary