[rfu-automation] Spanish and Local Music at the Same Time

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 10 18:05:47 CST 2007

There seems to be only one stream (local music) running now. So I suppose
the problem fixed itself?

Without having checked the status of the automation computer, this is my
guess as to what happened.

ZaraRadio is the program that should always be running on the automation
machine with its volume at about 80%. iTunes runs concurrently, but its
volume should always be set to zero (minimum). iTunes repeatedly plays the
French, Spanish and German news programs that we air from 7 to 8 am each
morning. These are downloaded as podcasts automatically and played on the
air by ZaraRadio (not iTunes).

We have to keep iTunes running because iTunes will stop downloading new
versions of podcasts if the podcasts haven't been played for five days. So
keeping the podcasts playing in an endless loop with the volume at zero
ensures that new versions of podcasts are downloaded automatically when
available. But if the volume is not at zero, the podcasts will be heard at
the same time as the ZaraRadio stream.

I will be in tomorrow Sunday to make sure things are set right and can go
over this evening if it is noted that the French, Spanish or German news is
playing along with the local music playlist.

--Gary