[rfu-automation] Re: PSA on the Sustainability fee referendum

Noel L. Vivar nlvivar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 15:18:22 CST 2007

Well, we can make a compromise: not put it on automation and just put an
index card in the PSA box. That way it can still be read if the dj so
chooses, but it would not be an "automatic" reading that perhaps the
whole station would not be behind...

Mike Lehman wrote:
> I guess I'm still a little uncomfortable, even after rereading the text
> of the PSA. It does seem to indicate a position on the question, even if
> it's not an explicit call for action.
>
> My bigger discomfort is the fact that putting something into automation
> means the whole station takes responsibility for it. If someone just
> wants to get the message out on their own show, then they take
> responsibility for it -- and I'd have no problem with it. This seems
> like an important distinction to me. Even if it's not actual legally a
> problem, the politics of seeming to take a position as the station on
> any electoral issue seems problematic to me, a can of worms that I'd
> just as soon stay out of.
>
> Given it's just text, do we actually even have a way to produce this? I
> assume that most things that get sent as text PSA's don't get on the
> air? Or does someone print them up and take them into the studio? I
> assume that they aren't produced into sound files for the automation
> system anyway?
> Mike Lehman
>
> Barbara kessel wrote:
>> What I remember from the original training I got from John Anderson is
>> that you can offer people information as long as you don't say
>> anything that is telling people what to do, such as "Go and vote for
>> the $5 Sustainability fee." The text of the PSA seems to pass this
>> test.
>> Also I believe that a referenda is different than a campaign for an
>> individual, in which the rule is that you can ask them to be on the
>> radio but they cannot ask you. If they do that, you have to offer all
>> the candidates equal time. Barbara Kessel

Noel L. Vivar
505 E. Clark St., Apt. 24
Champaign, IL 61820-4420
c.630.740.5775