[rfu-automation] Re: PSA on the Sustainability fee referendum

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 3 14:41:22 CST 2007

I guess I'm still a little uncomfortable, even after rereading the text
of the PSA. It does seem to indicate a position on the question, even if
it's not an explicit call for action.

My bigger discomfort is the fact that putting something into automation
means the whole station takes responsibility for it. If someone just
wants to get the message out on their own show, then they take
responsibility for it -- and I'd have no problem with it. This seems
like an important distinction to me. Even if it's not actual legally a
problem, the politics of seeming to take a position as the station on
any electoral issue seems problematic to me, a can of worms that I'd
just as soon stay out of.

Given it's just text, do we actually even have a way to produce this? I
assume that most things that get sent as text PSA's don't get on the
air? Or does someone print them up and take them into the studio? I
assume that they aren't produced into sound files for the automation
system anyway?
Mike Lehman