[rfu-automation] Re: [RFU] Classics for Kids

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 1 11:00:43 CST 2008

All:

I am still in Urbana--leaving tomorrow for six months.

For shows that are updated daily or weekly, we can put this on automation
if:

1. They exist as an MP3 or Windows Media Player file that has a constant URL
for the latest show. If the URL changes for every new show, it can't be
automated OR

2. It exists as a podcast.

Classics for Kids appears to have a changing URL and is in Flash. I'm pretty
sure that won't work using ZaraRadio. There may be other ways to air it, but
I don't know how.

If the producers want to make their shows easily automatable, they should do
one of the  two things above.

--Gary

On Feb 1, 2008 9:16 AM, Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Noel's right, I think this is the issue. Several people do have
> experience with automation, so they should be able to train y'all on the
> system. We badly need more people with the ability to access and update
> the system. Or we'll quickly find ourselves with lots of dead air. This
> needs to be discussed at the station meeting on Tuesday.
> Mike Lehman
>
> Noel L. Vivar wrote:
> > Gary, who is usually in charge of Autorotation has  left the country,
> > so that probably explains why he hasn't gotten back. I was hoping that
> > he'd say something before he left.
> >
> > I think that the best thing to do now that he's gone is to bring it up
> > at the next general station meeting.
> >
> > We can talk about it together there.
> >
> > -Noel
> >
> > On Feb 1, 2008 12:25 AM, RANDALL R HAWKINS <lrhawkins at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I am interested in airing Classics for kids on WRFU.  Noel forwarded my
> >> message to you, but I have not heard back anything.  Are you out there?
> >> Lavana
> >>

> >> "Noel L. Vivar" <nlvivar at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> You may want to try Autorotation. They are cc'ed on this email.
> >>
> >> -Noel

> show

> anyone

> >> --
> >> Noel L. Vivar
> >> 505 East Clark Street, Apartment 24
> >> Champaign, Illinois 61820-4420
> >> mobile.630.740.5775

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."--Albert
Einstein
Gary Cziko
Professor Emeritus
Educational Psychology & English as an International Language
University of Illinois
1310 S. Sixth Street
210F Education Building
Champaign, IL 61820-6990
USA

Telephone +1-217-333-8527
Fax: +1-217-244-7620
e-mail: g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Web: http://garycziko.net
Skype: garyjazz (http://www.skype.com)
Google Talk: gcziko
Amateur Radio: N9MJZ

Founder, Station Manager, Program Director, Chief Engineer and Announcer
The Latino Radio Service of La Casa Cultural Latina
1660 AM on the Urbana-Champaign campus of the University of Illinois
(http://latinoradioservice.org)

Founder and Major Contributor
ATALL Wikibook for
Autonomous Technology-Assisted Language Learning
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ATALL)