[rfu-automation] RFU Local Music Library Update - 13 Feb 2009

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:13:54 CST 2009

I just sent a message to Jim Kelly at Parasol Records to get more
information about a release we received, and to see if Parasol or its
artists are interested in submitting more music.  In the meantime, we still
have to review our current digital collection on iTunes/JIMBO.  For those
unfamiliar with our system, there is a training manual next to JIMBO on how
to add, label, and organize new automation entries, written by Maggie Taylor
and Alex Svec.  We can also schedule a tutorial meeting some time to go over
this.

I realized that there is a quick step that we can take to begin updating our
local music library - contacting artists and asking them which (if any) of
their songs have profanity.  Once we get that information, we can add all
the "clean" songs, and if, time permits, edit the ones with cursing -
though, really, this is only if we feel we have the time.  As it is, we're
the only station that will play the majority of an artist's album (pretty
much every week, given our current rotation), so I don't feel that we should
be too concerned that we are censoring art, especially when we're just
following FCC regulations.

I bring this up because I recently removed EVERYTHING from rotation that was
not verified with the labels (local) and [clean].  That means that there is
still a lot of music in the iTunes "Local" playlist that has not been
checked for profanity.  Virtually none of us has the time to go through and
check these, a process that involves listening to an album straight
through.  However, we each have time to take a few names from the following
list and contact the artist(s) to ask them about the language on their
recordings (and for a complete tracklisting) - when you contact the artists,
be sure to ask them if they would like to submit any other music they might
have made that we don't already have:

After you've contacted an artist on this list about a particular album,
write to the list to tell us, and then we can put the music back in
rotation.  If a band is no longer together or has moved out of town, we will
still include them in our library and on the air.

*Note - I'll contact Green St. Records to ask them about their compilations

*Artist - Album/Song*
iScintilla - The Approach
Broken Day - Broken Day
Triple Whip - Bareboned
Triple Whip - Demo April 2006
Triple Whipe - Snake Creeps Down
Mit'n - Colorful Conversation
The Beauty Shop - Crisis Helpline
Piston Hurricane - Danger Music
Darrin Drda's Theory of Everything - Theory of Everything
Megan Johns - Dirty Shoes
Headlights - The Enemies EP
Headlights - Kill Them With Kindness
The Blackouts - Every Day is a Sunday Evening
The Blackouts - Living in Blue
The Living Blue - Fire, Blood, Water
Jonah - Fresh Air
(Compilation) - Give it up Hand it down Put it on
Tractor Kings - Gone to Heaven
Tractor Kings - Sunday Night
fireflies - Goodnight, we're only here to help
(Compilation) - Green St. Records: No Rights Reserved*
(Compilation) - Green St. Records: Free for All*
Lorenzo Goetz - The Heavy EP
Lorenzo Goetz - Jesus Elephant
The Invisible - High Spirits
The Invisible - Invisibility
The Invisible - Lo fi apocalypse
The Invisible - self titled
Tim Green - Jeannie's Song
Me, Him, and Charlie Miller - Playtime
HipGnosis - META
Mighty Pranksters - Mighty Pranksters
Nonexistent Composers' Collective - Nonexistent Compositions
Scurvine - Poke You in You's Ears EP
DJ Limbs - ruff ruff trax
Melodic Scribes - Se Formo
Kate Hathaway - Sprout Don't Pout
The Dynamo Theorem - Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Terminus Victor - Under Surveillance
(Compilation) - A Warm Breath...and a Scream
Kevin Elliott - You Really Had to Be There
Zirafa - Turnstyles

--
Stephen Fonzo
Media Training Advisor