[rfu-automation] Marathon update

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:12:25 CST 2009

Andrew,

Thanks for explaining this.  I've observed the Zara logs to have many such
"unrecognized file format" errors, even with songs, and did not know what it
really meant.

So, the general conclusion is that file and URL locations generally work, at
least more stably than .m3u and .ram streams.

-Stephen

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Andrew Ó Baoill <andrew at funferal.org>wrote:

> I checked in on the station around 1am, just as Extensions was due to
> finish. I heard the ID at the top of the hour, but then instead of the
> Homelessness Marathon, it went to music. I logged into Zara remotely, and
> found that the log showed errors at the top of each hour, as the .m3u file I
> was pointing at was an 'unrecognized file format'. I tried the .ram link on
> audioport, but that also failed as unrecognized. Then I tried the feed that
> didn't include a file-type, just a location, and that worked fine. My method
> was to edit the existing event, changing the start time to just after the
> time on the automation computer, and listen on air while watching Zara.
>
> So, we started playing the marathon about 1:12am. Think it should have
> continued OK through the night.
>
> Lessons:
> .m3u and .ram streams will not be recognized by Zara
> Check in on Zara early on in these events to make sure they're running
> properly. Remote access is our friend here.
>
> Andrew

Stephen Fonzo
Media Training Advisor
AmeriCorps CTC VISTA