[rfu-automation] Simulcast opportunities on WRFU - live and recorded content

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Sat Feb 28 15:15:18 CST 2009

Hey,

I wanted to remind the Shows group that WRFU has set aside time for
Simulcasts of events in the main IMC space. We have set aside Saturday
evenings from 8pm to midnight for this purpose. I would encourage you
to make sure to simulcast events where you have performer permission,
and content is suitable for airing (i.e. no swearing, generally
continuous audio through the board).

Obviously, there isn't a live event every Saturday, and in these cases
it would be great if we were able to broadcast content from previous
IMC (or other local) events in the slot. This is something where I
think the RFU Automation, Shows, and Production groups could usefully
collaborate. We have an automation system where we can schedule
broadcast of such content, but we need to know what's available (and
which Saturdays won't have live content), and have volunteers to edit
it into a suitable form (59 minute, or shorter, segments) and upload
it to our computer.

I'd like to hear from those who would be interested in working on this
project - we have a small number of people interested, but need some
more to get this off the ground. We can then organize an informal
meeting to figure out how we can best make this work. I'd also like to
talk about ensuring that the processes used for live simulcasts comply
with our license requirements (esp. station IDs and having the
operator sign our station log).

In a related note: at our last WRFU meeting we discussed the
possibility of having a feed *from* WRFU into the mixer in the main
space, so WRFU could be piped through those speakers when there is no
live audio in the space. This could be as simple as attaching a radio
receiver to the mixer. Is this something Shows could consider at its
next meeting? I'm happy to talk with Shows members about the
possibilities, if needs be.

Thanks,

Andrew