[rfu-automation] Re: what's in a word?

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Sat Jan 31 14:53:07 CST 2009

The truth is a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

The FCC does not operate on the basis of a list of 'seven dirty words'
- indecency is judged on the basis of context, references to excretion
and/or sexual functions, etc., with an overall judgement then being
made by the FCC on a case-by-case basis. It's for this reason that a
piece without any recognized 'dirty words' but clearly containing
innuendo can fall foul of the words.

The standard used by the FCC varies over time. In recent years they
have become more strict - in part because of pressure from
Commissioner Copps, a Democrat who has just been named acting chair of
the Commission. In particular, 'fleeting expletives' (such as Bono's F-
bomb at the Grammies) have been judged to breach the rules. [In this
way they have moved from arguing that 'fuck' is indecent when used in
a sexual context to arguing that the word is inherently bound up in
notions of coarse sexuality, and that almost any use of the word must
be a breach of the indecency rule - so still not a 'list of words' but
moving closer in that direction, without providing clear guidance on
what other words would fall under the same criteria.]

Thus, 'ass' is, as Joe notes, not necessarily a breach of the rules,
but it might be judged to be a breach depending on context - including
the fact that this is a recorded track, that it's been added to our
automation library, and that we have edited other tracks for decency
(whether this would count for or against us is an open question).

Again, my recommendation (if this hasn't yet been acted on) is that
someone check the log, remove the track in question from the
automation, and that we then review it and decide whether we are
comfortable re-adding it.

Andrew