[rfu-automation] Automation updates

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Tue Mar 24 08:51:37 CDT 2009

First - Chris spotted two issues with our Automation content early
this morning:
1 We were airing an out of date PSA for the IMC film fest
2 One song in automation, while containing no specific 'dirty words'
was quite sexually explicit

I've moved the PSA from 'current PSAs' to 'old PSAs'. I've manually
removed the song in question from the Zara playlist. I've also removed
the 'clean' label from the song in question in iTunes (Maurice's
American Girl). So those tasks are now completed.

This serves as a good time to remind those screening music for
obscenity: the FCC doesn't work off a list of 'dirty words' to decide
whether a song is acceptable or not. Rather, they consider the context
of the piece. It's possible to get in trouble - and some have - for a
piece with no traditional obscenities, but which is using candy bar
names in a suggestive fashion.

Second, on Saturday evening local artist Popeye Curtsinger came by the
station and gave us some tracks for airplay. I inserted them into
iTunes, but haven't had time to check them for obscenity yet - I'd
appreciate if someone could do so, and mark them accordingly.
Observant users of the automation computer will notice that I've also
left a folder on the desktop, which includes the tracks from Popeye's
CD which I ripped but which he has requested we not use on air at this
point (some have not yet been publicly released).

Chris's messages follow

Heard on RFU at 4:40am this morning

...A public service announcement that was asking for submissions to
the upcoming IMC Film Festival being held in on Feb. 25, done by Tommy
Grissom and me.

2 things come to mind: 1) the ad was not that funny and Chris Evans
sounds like a dork on the air. 2) um,....hasn't February already
happened? and Chris Evans sounds like a dork on the air.

Anyone know how to eradicate that ad from the automation rotation?
chris- early morning fan of Radio Free Urbana.

	Also heard before that ad at 4:40 a.m.

Before the ad for the IMC Film Festival, there was a rap song that
might be called either "International lover" or "american women".
The music is excellent and there is not a naughty word heard in it, if
you are only counting the 7 naughty words the FCC is fixated on. So
technically, the song can be played any time beyond safe harbor hours.

However, conceptually, the lyrics strung together describe, very, very
explicitly; tales of receiving oral sex, women riding the man's penis
from on top, among other erotic adventures and brags about being able
to sleep with lots of women all over the world.
And if that's all you want to talk about, you have a 1st Amendment
right to it, but this song would not sound "good" at 8:30 a.m. in the
morning in the post office lobby.

I trust songs like this are being regulated to safe harbor hours even
though there ain't no cussing on the song.
Chris- frequent critic of WRFU