[rfu-membership] AON Qs, William Jones

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 21:25:24 CDT 2007

On 4/23/07, Ken Urban <kurban at parkland.edu> wrote:
> I had a quick talk with Will Hawkins (a former student of mine) on Friday night.
>
> They want very much to move to a time slot after 10pm.  I told them that when the station is not in use, any member is welcome to use the studio.  I suggested that Saturday night was ususally open and that they send an email to wrfu asking if there was going to be a simulcast and take over the student then.  I suggested they see if Ray will be interested in swapping times.
>
> I left with the feeling that Will is trying to follow the rules, but the rules forbit his type of music.  I think some onus is on us to find this show a place at WRFU where we can co-exist with the FCC.  Let's see if we can move his show to after 10pm.

i do not like this trend we are getting into where shows seem to not
be able to communicate to the station groups until their show is
removed (we all agreed to this at both the membership and general
meeting) or threated to be removed.  in fact they told us to bug off
until we threatened.  if a show has a desire to play indecent material
then they should let us know as soon as they hear the rules so that we
can find a place for them.  in this case they knowingly violated the
rules more than three times (we only caught then once) and can assume
they did more.  how much work should we do for shows who aren't
willing to work with us?

> One thought is to stop the simulcasts (they aren't happening anyway) and open up the Saturday evening to regular programming, giving AON 'high priority' for an after 10pm slot.

i am not for sure i like this idea moving into a potentially busy era
for shows where we are going to want to take advantage of that.
excluding AON, as i do not agree we should be giving them priority for
anything, if we start getting a consistent desire for a after 10pm
slot we should revisit this.

again, we should not be discussing what to do with AON, we already
decided.  we should be working towards implementing policy that
ensures we get to know our shows before this point.

what does this say to all of members who do not intentionally violate
any FCC or station policies?  the membership spoke and agreed on the
policies we have in place for all shows and for AON.  it's simple, if
we allow blatant disregard for rules and policies and show groups we
have no intent on enforcing rules and policies not only will one show
be off the air but they will take the whole station with it.

Daniel