[rfu-membership] AON Qs, William Jones

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 10:06:14 CDT 2007

While part of our mission is to make radio available to as wide a
variety of news and arts, we have to constantly keep in mind that we
have an absolute obligation to keep the station as whole on the air.
Between the violations themselves and the lack of contact or response
when these issues were raised, AON has been an example of exactly what a
programming group should NOT do if they want to stay on the air. They
received numerous instances of feedback from other RFUistas, but they
just ignored it for the most part.

I do know that having received training, they were aware of the issue
with inappropriate content. In fact, the initial response I received
indicated that this was clear to them. Perhaps we need to revisit what
is specifically said about inappropriate content during training and
certainly add in the _consequences_ now that we have a specific policy
to address such violations. It would also be good to remind new people
that with the archiving system as it is now, such mistakes don't simply
disappear if no one is listening at the time. Archiving means that such
material is subject to review by anyone else at the station -- and the
public itself, who may not be so kind and accommodating as we are to
getting people back on the right track with just a single violation.

But I don't feel that this is something that should excuse what AON did,
since they had multiple opportunities to clarify things -- if the rules
really were all that unclear to them after receiving the feedback they
did, then they should ask, not keep on testing what they think they can
get away with. What is played on the air is absolutely the DJs
responsibility and they must bear the consequences when they violate the
rules  -- especially when it's repeatedly (and even shamelessly as it
was during the second instance) after they've already been put on notice.

Furthermore, we all need to remember -- especially since there are
recordings being made -- that these things may come back to haunt us. If
someone has already copied the offending shows and sent a copy off to
the FCC, then the only mitigating circumstance we have to offer is that
those involved were dealt with under station policy -- and the only
thing this will do is maybe cut the cost of any potential fine. So if we
let AON skate, we're effectively saying that, as a station, we are
consciously lax in regard to FCC rules. And that is a very bad thing for
any station with the limited resources we have. It's not just about AON
-- it's about our responsibility to everyone else at the station and our
legal responsibility to the FCC.

We must remember that our own internal policies are, at best, a fig
leaf. A violation is still a violation in the eyes of the FCC, even if
it's just a mistake and the very first time. AON went way beyond that,
which makes things especially troubling.

I can also understand being young and inexperienced -- but the solution
to addressing this issue, if they are contrite and want to continue in
the future at RFU, is to sit out for awhile and then come back, making
clear that the lesson has been learned and internalized for anyone in
the new programming group that was involved in a previous violation(s),
to apply for a different slot.

And if we let AON slide when things were as blatant as they were, then
the next group that gets in such a fix will be similarly looking for
flexibility. Then we're on a slippery slope to things going to hell in a
handbasket as far as keeping things under control enough to keep our
license.

I favor letting those involved know that they can re-apply for another
slot in the future, but I think we should lay out the conditions. First,
there needs to be a decent interval. I propose that no one listed as a
member of the AON programming group be allowed to apply as part of
another programming group for three months. Furthermore, I think that
any person from a terminated progamming group will place a new
programming group they become a member of on an automatic three month
probation -- any violation will result in the loss of the slot. This
sounds fair to me and we should consider adopting something along these
lines as policy for any future incidents involving other groups.

I hate to be a hardass, but we're risking the investment that the
community and other RFU members have made in putting the station on the
air and keeping it there whenever anyone engages in such behavior, even
once. I wish things weren't this way, but this is out of our hands. Once
we took responsibility for the license, we agreed to comply with the
rules as the are -- not as we wish they would be. I'm uneasy with the
flexibility we've shown so far, but I also think it's a risk worth
taking to put radio in the hands of more diverse voices. But I also
think we've taken all the risk we can at this point -- and AON has not
given me any confidence that this problem will not repeat itself, even
after 10pm.

As for the Saturday evening slot for live broadcasting, I can't remember
for sure, but I think this was a decision made by the membership -- and
we'll have to return to them to change it. If I'm mistaken, then we have
more flexibility. But I tend to agree that it is better to keep it open
for the time being and revisit the question if it looks like it won't be
regularly used enough to make it worthwhile keeping open.
Mike Lehman