[rfu-membership] RFU Meeting, Tuesday, Dec. 4 at 8pm, & Membership Meeting Notes

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 3 13:35:47 CST 2007

Noel,
I generally would think that six weeks would result in finding a partner
for a continuing show.

On the other hand, I also think that a group that otherwise meets the
rest of the qualifications and is a _continuing_ group from the previous
year in good standing could request a specific exemption until they do
find a partner if they've otherwise made a good faith effort to replace
a departing partner.

We've got a number of months to discuss this and come up with solutions,
if one is needed. My great concern is that we not allow this to turn
into another semester-long ordeal in 2008, like this year. What happens
is that Membership ends up concentrating our limited resources on this
issue, which is in itself caused by the relative non-participation of
many members. Better to just eject them and move on to helping make the
station better for active members.

There are things we need to do to make the station better for those who
are willing to participate. The sooner we weed out those who are not
interested in anything except doing their own show for two hours a week,
the easier that work will be for those who care about the station as a
whole.

Finally, we've yet to face the situation where there simply isn't any
air time available. We've always found a way for anyone who does
participate to get airtime. I doubt that any rules we make will be
interpreted in a way that undermines that principle. Your concern is one
we should give some thought to, but I can think of a number of ways to
accommodate it.

However, we don't want to continue or create a policy that allows lots
of people to ignore renewal and participation for months at a time
because we fear that it might be misinterpreted into eliminating a group
or two which is not a slacker. Essentially, that is what we've done for
the last four months. It's a drag on our limited resources and something
we should make a point of NOT repeating.
Mike Lehman