[rfu-membership] Complaint About Vulgar Language

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu May 3 14:38:26 CDT 2007

Dear Alex and "The Harbor" Programming Group,
I received several reports of apparent vulgar and/or obscene language
being used over the air by on-air personalities on your show Wednesday
evening/Thursday morning. While the "safe harbor" provides some cover
for playing material by artists during the period from 10pm-6am, the
rules for what language can be used by DJs are still quite restrictive
-- and you seem to have violated them by the reports I received.

We need to sit down and discuss the particulars at the next
RFU-Membership meeting. This will probably take place Sunday, May 13 at
5pm. I would advise that you observe the rules on vulgarity, profanity,
and obscenity closely until then -- or better yet avoid any use of
questionable language until we meet, because -- at a minimum -- your
programming group seems to misunderstand what is allowable -- and what
clearly is not.

Most likely, we'll consider putting you on a month's probation, in which
any further violations of FCC policies that apply to your programming
group will result in immediate loss of your show. However, if there are
further violations before we get a chance to meet and consider things,
this could result in a dramatically escalated outcome.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you have until then, but I also
think this requires a face-to-face meeting to come to full understanding
on the issues. I could meet with you before the Membership meeting, if
you'd like.
Mike Lehman