[rfu-membership] Fwd: training for new program co-hosts

RANDALL R HAWKINS lrhawkins at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 10 11:39:41 CST 2008

I am in agreement that the more trainers the better.  And yes, there does need to be some sort of open way to be able to train.  However, just because someone has been trained, I don't think qualifies them to be a trainer.  Stephen mentions training for trainers.  To me that means training on how to train others.  Which is different than just going through the training for oneself.  Perhaps it could be as simple as, the first time someone trains others, that an experienced trainer is also present.

However, it sounds to me like Maggie is just asking if she can train  her own programming group.  Is she really interested in becoming an actual trainer? I have a couple of misgivings about people training their own program group.  Members of wrfu, need to be a part of the whole picture -- and to do that they need to see the whole picture.  Not only is training your own programming group self serving, it also limits the view of the people getting trained.  Also, Maggie does seem to have good understanding of the station, however everyone always has small unique viewpoints or understandings.  By training her own programming group, these can become an entire group's understanding of how the station works.

I would recomend training be a time to get ones to see more of the whole picture, and begin looking at ways to be a part of it.  Maggie strikes me as a person who tries to do this.  And it is difficult to coordinate the training times.  Perhaps I am just seeing a problem where there isn't one.  Or seeing a problem that has a different solution.  But I have seen groups do this since we have been  here, and it seems like those groups can tend to think of themselves as wrfu.

Lavana