[rfu-membership] Membership Meeting Notes, Jan. 13, 2008

RANDALL R HAWKINS lrhawkins at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 21 14:48:29 CST 2008

My first thought about where to send an announcement if a show will be missed, was to send it to the station list.  It does seem like everyone should be aware when a show is not going to air, and that then someone can hopefully sub.  The automation does prevent dead air -- but it is not the same as a live show.  But I have rethought this.

  And here is what I am realizing.  Most people are just not available or able or interested in hosting a show at another time slot during the week.  Once is a lot to be ready for.  I don't think most people are watching their e-mail waiting for another time slot to come open.  Most djs are just hitting delete when they see these announcements, because it is a need they can't fill.  But, I also know that there was at least one week, when we really would have liked to have done an extra show, and even though there were several cancellations that week, I could never figure out when they were, so we never filled a spot.

  So here is my final suggestion, even though I understand the idea of keeping everyone abreast of  when a show is not airing, I think it is unnecessary to most djs.  There are a few who might find it helpful, and they can subscribe to the membership list, if we make that the place to post it.  Great, more people who are aware other membership issues that appear on this list, and when the membership group meets.  Keep the station list lower traffic for those who are only able to do their own show, and don't need to wade through all of it.  AND, when a show posts that they will not be able to air, I would like to suggest that they include the day and time that their show generally airs to make it easier for someone to know that the studio is now open during that time slot. I know that we doing good right now to get them to post at all, but if we are beginning a habit, lets ask that they supply the information that will be most useful.

  Lavana

Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Lavana,
You can access all the RFU list at this link:

Page down to the RFU lists. There are eight currently.

The RFU list is the original one and is now used for general discussion.
The RFU-Automation, Finance, and Membership list are currently somewhat
active and are connected, ideally, to the areas of responsibility for
each of those working groups. Tech is on there, too, but sees little use
although it would be great if it did. RFU-Schedule was used a lot in the
beginning to coordinate show proposals and scheduling, but this work is
now done on Membership's list.

RFU-Station is for official station business only and is the one list
that every programming group is required to stay subscribed to so that
they are aware of official announcements. People sometimes send or cc
mail there, but unless it is something that every programming group
needs to know about, I admin it out. Sometimes, if it is important to
another list, I'll manually resend it to the appropriate group. The
reason I don't think it's a good idea to send missed show to it is to
keep it low traffic and to encourage people to subscribe to one of the
other lists.

IIRC, we did agree that every group should be subscribed to at least the
list of a working group that they claimed to be a member of. This is
only partially in effect at this time, but would be a good idea to
verify and add them to the respective group list during the retraining
effort that is coming up.

If there's anything I didn't cover you'd like to know about, just ask.
Mike Lehman