[rfu-membership] Re: [Rfu-station] Membership update

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 23:15:54 CDT 2008

As I recall, we decided to go with memberships easily divisible by 12 so
that pro-rated memberships would be easy to figure, i.e. $1.50/month.

Existing members will need to renew as of Sept. 1, with a drop-dead date
of Sept. 30. Programming groups who don't renew in September will be
dropped from the schedule as of Oct. 1. This should be a hard and fast
rule to avoid all the extra work we needed to do to get this very basic
station business done last year. Everyone should be aware of the
deadline at this point and either have taken care of it by Sept. 30 or
simply don't expect to have your show as of Oct. 1 if you don't take
care of it.

Given that people joining in the summer will only have a couple of
months before they need to renew again, it may be easier for everyone to
pro-rate the time until Sept. 1 and then go ahead and pay for next year,
thus $23.50 if they join in June and want to be current until Sept. 1,
2009, in July it would be $21 to carry  through to Sept. 1, 2009, etc.
This is  purely a decision for them to make at this point. It
complicates things a little, but it also seems to make more sense than
writing a check in August for $1.50, for example, then another one in
September for $18.

Quite frankly, at whatever level, WRFU membership is a great deal and in
large part our financial struggles are there because it is such a great
deal. I know that many people simply go ahead and pay for a full year,
intentionally or not. It would be a real PITA to cut a bunch of refund
checks if this wasn't clear along the way for everyone.

 Those who can afford to give more will certainly help support the
station, i.e. for general ops, the tower fund, or some other specified
purpose, if they so choose. It's OK for those who can't to not do so,
but it's also one reason we seem to constantly struggle financially.
Mike Lehman