[Rfu-station] Re: [RFU] WORT-WRFU sister station solidarity

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 09:09:26 CDT 2007

Ray,
All the items that Norm might be able to supply would be used ones,
surplus to WORT's needs. If they do have a board they can donate to our
cause, it is likely to be a better board, but may still be in need of
minor repairs, just like the board we have.

WORT has a sizable volunteer local news operation, from what I
understand. I've never heard it, only heard of it. Norm does have a lot
of experience with portable recording gear, as I've read his posts over
the years on Prometheus Radio Project's discussing this very subject.

On the other hand, having helped maintain the IMC's portable recording
gear for the old Radio group, such recorders take a real beating when
used. So anything Norm can offer us like that is likely to have a lot of
miles on it. Since we do have money for such new gear, I'd strongly
suggest that in order to avoid the frustrations volunteers have with
some of our other well-used gear, that SOMEONE, ANYONE, here at RFU talk
to Norm about what he'd recommend we buy, since we do have funds
available to do that. I am cc-ing this to Norm, but it's up to someone
else to follow-up on whatever he suggests we consider buying. I can no
longer take on new projects like this, due to the demands of other work
I have.

The $1600+ in funds from the old Radio group are earmarked for such
items. That group raised that money through their hard work. I see no
reason to think that these funds should be dedicated to any other
purpose, since RFU needs that gear just as badly as they would have
needed it had they continued, instead of disbanding, in part because RFU
was starting up and no one wanted to duplicate those efforts.

Reinforcing that is the relative lack of effort by RFU's membership so
far to do significant fundraising for any of our MANY needs. We need to
start doing that or the whole station will slowly grind to a halt
sometime in the next year. Those are just the economic facts of life.
There is also no reason why we aren't doing fundraising, other than lack
of effort.

This is something the membership needs to think closely about, because
I've done everything I can to motivate them to do so. A few people are
stepping up, like Dan's and others effort with the IMCfest, but more
need to do so. As I already noted, IMC fest should be the CONCLUSION of
an active RFU fundraising campaign. If it isn't, we'll only be a little
better off and still in a very deep hole.

Once again, those members wanting to dig ourselves out of this hole
should sign up for the RFU-Finance list:
Then those on this list need to _self-organize_ RFU's efforts to raise
funding. I will give advice if asked, but I am not going to be able to
lead this effort. It's up to the membership now.

I've worked since 2000 to get us on the air and keep us on the air. It
was never intended to be "my station" --  it was always intended to be
the community's station. So it's up to the membership to make this work.
The effort that goes into talking about our flaky equipment now needs to
go into determining what we need and figuring out the fundraising needed
to make it happen -- or simply determining what we should order and
doing that in the case of portable recording gear. From this point
forward, I'm going to finish up the last bit of fundraising I'll be
working on -- the CFECI grant application -- and then moving on to other
projects. It's up to the membership to sink or swim at this point on
these issues.

I am cc-ing this to the RFU-Station list, because there are many people
on it and not on the RFU list who need to be aware of these facts.
However, if you want these issues solved, please continue the discussion
on either the RFU-Finance list I linked above or sign up for where much
of the station's discussion by signing up for the main RFU list:

Thanks to Ray for motivating me to again explain the way things are.
It's now up to the membership to move things forward or find the station
in economic crisis soon. It won't be just crappy, but still working
equipment, it will be things like having the studio phone line turned
off due to lack of funds or not being able to pay the broadcast music
copyright licensing. Then we'll have to shut down. People can always do
webcasting from home if that's what they want to do, but this is a radio
station and needs to act like one.
Mike Lehman