[Rfu-station] Skateboard Damage and Grafitti at the IMC

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 17:33:31 CDT 2007

I noticed that the center handrail on the front, west steps of the
building was loose a few days ago. This is very recent damage.

Closer examination revealed scratches running the length of the
handrail, directly on top of it. There is no indication that a vehicle
came up on the sidewalk and hit it. Thus, given the evidence, I
concluded that the damage was very likely caused by someone attempting
to style on the handrail with a skateboard. It will likely cost the IMC
several hundred dollars to repair this thoughtless damage.

There have also been a number of incidents of graffiti on and around the
IMC. This has been a problem throughout the neighborhood recently. While
graffiti can represent a means of expression under specific conditions,
the graffiti seen recently has little to no artistic content and
represents mere tagging. Graffiti taggers give good graffiti artists a
bad name, which is clearly what is going on, given the response of those
I've heard from across the political spectrum. Graffiti-ists of all
types also realize they run the risk of being turned in. If you see
someone painting graffiti, please call 911 and report them. Artists
don't mind suffering for their art. Taggers should just be stopped.

It would be good to get the name of anyone involved to pass it along to
the IMC-Finance group, if possible, but please don't run any personal
risks in doing so. We can't afford to fix things that others tear up for
no good reason, but we will attempt to recover damages from anyone
involved in such behavior.
Mike Lehman